Free speech on college campuses

Students fill Glenn Terrell Mall in August 2011. The mall serves as WSU’s “free speech zone.”

In the United States, every citizen enjoys the right to free speech. Many may be surprised to learn, however, that this does not necessarily extend to student publications such as high school and college newspapers.

New legislation could change this by removing unnecessary censorship by administration and solidifying free speech for students in Washington.

Allowing an unrestricted flow of information to students is extremely crucial to the development of their education. By approving this bill, state legislators would show that they take students’ rights seriously and set an example for states that have not yet made an attempt to pass similar laws.

In an article published Feb. 14 in the Seattle Times, reporter Jessica Lee wrote that Senate Bill 6233 and similar bills being proposed in other states largely reflect a bill passed in North Dakota last year which allowed the publishing of content without prior restraint, with exceptions for texts that may be considered a violation of state or federal law.

Critics of the bill say that because the school or school district’s name is on the publication, filters should be in place to assure that these organizations are not being put in a bad light and avoiding conflict that may result from the publication.

In the same way, proponents plead that administrators can edit material in order to put out an idealized image of the institution.

This news comes as free speech is becoming a hot-button issue at many public universities in the U.S. that have designated ‘free speech zones.’ According to an article published Feb. 8 in the Arizona Capitol Times by writer Howard Fischer, some states, such as Arizona, have proposed legislation banning these free speech zones on public college campuses and essentially allowing unrestricted free speech to take place.

The message is clear – college students are tired of having their rights constricted by higher-ups.

In an article published by the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, author Sarah McLaughlin claims “many student journalists are being taught an unfortunate lesson by college administrators and their fellow students lately: Don’t publish anything that might offend anyone.”

Senate Bill 6233 and others like it are aiming to end the paradox of a student publication with limited free speech and is something, particularly as college students, that we should get behind.

The old cliché of ‘demanding the truth’ is just as relevant today as many stories published might not be the most pleasant things to read, but better it be the truth than a filtered half-truth.

Though it may be a sensitive topic at times, many students will agree that free speech is a basic right as a citizen, and should therefore be extended fully to students on high school and college campuses.

That being said, the only ways bills like 6233 will pass and continue to be proposed around the country is if students show that this issue matters to them. Without the passion of students, issues like this, and others which affect college students will continue to be swept under the rug.