Three and out: WSU drops three straight to Texas State to open season

A pair of two-run home runs wasn’t enough to prevent a third consecutive loss Sunday in the Cougars’ season opening series against Texas State.

Washington State (0-3, 0-0) led in the second and fifth innings against the Bobcats (3-0, 0-0) with redshirt sophomore catcher Stephen Van Horn and junior outfielder Cameron Frost providing the power.

Freshman right-hander Parker McFadden held Texas State to three runs on four hits in four innings, his first collegiate appearance.

Despite leaving the game down 3-2, Frost’s fifth inning two-run homer run gave the Cougars a 5-3 lead with sophomore right-handed relief pitcher Ryan Walker taking over for McFadden.

After not allowing a baserunner in the bottom of the fifth, Walker surrendered three runs on four hits with one out in the bottom of the sixth inning. Texas State left runners at first and third to end the sixth leading 6-5.

Sophomore left-handed relief pitcher Scotty Sunitsch balked in the Bobcats final run of the game in the bottom of the seventh. Washington State, down 7-5, mounted a comeback in the top of the ninth inning with back to back walks to start the inning.

Redshirt junior outfielder Trek Stemp singled off a bunt attempt to load the bases for the Cougars with no outs. Sophomore infielder Jack Strunc grounded into a double play, allowing Van Horn to score yet leaving WSU with only one out left.

Frost lined out to first following Strunc’s double play, sealing the 7-6 victory for Texas State with final game of the series set for Monday at 3 p.m. PST.

Reporting by Lars Hanson