Collecting the treasure: Cougar football coach and player win Pac-12 honors

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Luke Falk passes the ball down field during a game against Oregon State in Martin Stadium, Oct. 17, 2015.

Even with its regular season ending Saturday, the WSU football team continues to bring in the accolades.

Head Coach Mike Leach was named the 2015 Pac-12 Conference Co-Coach of the Year Tuesday after guiding the Cougars to an 8-4 record, its best since 2003. The Cougars’ 6-3 conference record this year was also its best since 2003, when they went 6-2. Stanford’s David Shaw split the award with Leach.

Leach’s coaching helped the Cougars to upset wins at No. 18 UCLA and at Oregon. It was the first time since 2007 that WSU had beaten the Bruins, and the first time since 2006 that it had beaten the Ducks. The Cougars’ No. 20 ranking after their Nov. 21 win against Colorado was the first time since 2003 that WSU had been ranked in the top 20. Bill Doba won Pac-12 Coach of the Year that season, the last time a Cougar coach earned that honor.

Meanwhile, three Cougar players were named to the All-Pac-12 Conference First Team, also announced Tuesday.

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Luke Falk, redshirt junior receiver Gabe Marks and redshirt senior offensive lineman Joe Dahl each earned this recognition after outstanding performances on the field all season.

Falk leads the nation in passing with 387.8 yards per game, while also throwing 36 touchdown passes. With four fourth-quarter comebacks to his name this year (against Rutgers, Oregon, Arizona State, and UCLA), Falk has earned three Pac-12 Player of the Week awards and owns four of the top five single-game passing totals in the conference this season. California’s Jared Goff shared the honor with Falk.

Marks set a WSU record with 14 touchdown receptions in 2015, leading the conference in both receptions (99) and touchdown grabs. Also a Biletnikoff Award semifinalist, Marks had four games with 10 or more receptions and four games with 100-plus yards. In a win at Arizona, he set the WSU record and tied the Pac-12 record for most touchdown catches in a single game with four.

Although Dahl missed four games with an undisclosed injury, he made huge contributions to the offense as a whole from the left tackle position while helping protect Falk’s blind side. Dahl received an honorable mention from the Pac-12 last season.

In the classroom, some of the same names appeared again in the Pac-12 All-Academic awards. Redshirt sophomore linebacker Peyton Pelluer was named to the Second Team. He has a 3.57 GPA and is majoring in history.

Falk, Dahl, redshirt junior offensive lineman Sam Flor and redshirt sophomore safety Isaac Dotson were awarded honorable mentions.

In order to be eligible for the All-Academic team, players must maintain a minimum 3.0 overall GPA and play in at least 50 percent of their team’s games.

WSU was the only Pac-12 school to not have a player named to the Pac-12 All-Academic First Team this season.

Reporting by Spencer Anderson