Heavy, crazy energy

There are few things more exciting for a crowd than freestyle rap. But a concert at The Garage Saturday night gave the crowd that and more; freestyle rap and Heavy fashion.

At least 200 people showed up to catch the trio of rappers, made up of John Givez, Ruslan, and Beleaf Melanin.

The trio kicked off the night together for several songs, likewise the crowd warmed up, waving their arms and hopping as one. Then, each rapper had a solo set, starting with the speed of Melanin, then the heart and freestyling of Ruslan, and finally the soul and rhythm of Givez.

For the last portion of the show, the Dream Junkies were together again, each one bringing their style of hip-hop to create a high energy result for viewers. Among some of the crowd that were impressed with the night were Sophomore, Tyer Chaplin and Freshmen Steven Tranthem.

“I was in San Diego this summer and I heard about them down there, but here it was high energy the whole way through,” Chaplin said. “I’m saying if you weren’t there, you missed out.”

“It was amazing, I mean crazy energy, and I am going to say if you’re into any type of hip hop, you need to check these guys out,” Tranthem said.

Contributing to the energy was the Dream Junkies use of crowd participation. Dozens of times, the rappers got people involved by doing call and response with the crowd, having people show random items in their pockets to inspire freestyle, and the traditional waving hands like you just don’t care.

Junior civil engineering major Jared Long was one of the spectators, and noted that even from the back of the room, the Dream Junkies were great at making the crowd feel like a part of the show, and said it was a great break from a stressful middle of the semester.

The free concert was held at a venue known to many as simply The Garage on High Street, and was hosted by Josiah Sims, a recent graduate of WSU, as a joint concert and celebration of his fall clothing line for his brand, Heavy.

Sims has been working with Resonate Church in the few years since he graduated with a degree in digital technology culture, or graphic design as he likes to put it. In those years, he has grown professionally as well as spiritually.

“Heavy is a reflection of who I am, and the God I have a close relationship with,” Sims said.

The clothing line has been a work in progress for the past few years, and on Saturday night the line debuted a fall lineup consisting of pullover jackets, t-shirts, and hats, all boasting the Heavy branding.

Along with the expansion of Heavy, Sims is determined to help the community of Resonate Church, by donating portions of his profits to students pursuing mission trips.

“Heavy is a dream I am trying to make a reality,” Sims said. “Agape values you. It is a lesson that is constantly being learned, and one I want to help other people learn.”

To check out the Heavy clothing brand, check out heavyartistry.com and be on the lookout for a winter collection sometime next semester.

The night was filled with enough rhymes and beats to please any rap enthusiast, the drop of a fashion line that is likely to be seen around campus. Josiah Sims hopes that this was just the beginning to his partnership with artists that he can bring to Pullman, as well as a step in his clothing line’s development.