You can bike if you want to; leave your friends behind

You’re alert – you’ve had your coffee, you’re not wearing headphones and you’re ready to take on the day at your fullest capacity.

You walk through the mall with the light chatter of other students filling the air as they walk past you.

You see people heading towards you, and if they are getting too close, you are able to step out of their way, and them out of yours.

You might get a small snippet of frustration to the tune of Ludacris (… “get out the way!”), but it’s nothing serious.

You are fully aware of your surroundings – or so you think.

You’re three steps away from getting to your class when – zoom, “oh my god, what the …” – a bicyclist bursts out from behind you, passes by two inches away from your side and continues on with no acknowledgment.

It feels like your heart – and life – stops with the shock.

You stand there for a few bewildered seconds.

“They could’ve hit me.”

“I didn’t hear them at all.”

“What?”

This has happened a countless number of times to me while I have been at WSU – and this experience is not unique.

Now, don’t get me wrong, there is nothing inherently bad about riding a bicycle. In fact, riding a bike is great for you.

For example, the British Medical Association said, “Cycling just 20 miles a week can reduce the risk of coronary heart disease by 50 percent.”

Additionally, biking is an effective mode of exercise and transportation that is not harsh on the body, as attested to by Andy Clarke, the president of the League of American Bicyclists.

In a Men’s Health article on bicycling, Clarke said, “Cycling gets your legs moving and your heart pumping without pounding your joints.”

So, in the general scheme of things, bikes are a great way to get around, and they’re just fun in general – who could say no to a fun bike ride with a couple friends, or just getting the exercise by yourself?

However, it is important to note that there is a wrong way to ride a bike.

As you speedily go to wherever you need to be, the hubbub of passing periods drowns out any sound of your tires. Your bikes truly are that quiet.

It is dangerous to assume that people will automatically know that a bicyclist is rapidly approaching behind them. We can’t see you, and we definitely cannot hear you.

If it hasn’t happened already, a serious crash will happen on campus unless something is done.

Which is why, bicyclists of WSU, I have a simple solution for you – please, please, please make some kind of sound that communicates your approach as you travel through campus.

Now, you don’t have to put a full-on sound system on your bike, although one that played ice cream truck songs as you went through campus would be pretty hilarious.

For example, use a bell.

Yes, those ones that make a cute little “ding” as you ride through campus.

It is a very simple way to let others know of your presence, and they are super effective with minimal work.

With a couple flicks of your thumb as you proceed to your destination, you will be able to alert all passersby that you are on your way, and that we need to stay out of it.

Trust me, those dings can carry a note for a long distance.

Also, if you do not want a bell or can’t get one, there is an option for the low, low price of free.

Say “on your left!” if you are approaching someone on their left side, “on your right!” if you are approaching on their right, or “behind you!” for an easy blanket statement.

Many moments of shock and temporary resentment will be averted with these simple solutions.

So, what do you think, bicyclists?

I believe that this can move towards a solution that will benefit the many walkways of WSU.

Until then – zoom – please be careful.

Sophia Stephens is a senior english literature and comparative ethnic studies major from wenatchee. She can be contacted at 335-2290 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of the Office of Student Media.