WS-You, and You, but not You: Who Deserves Respect at WSU?

On Aug. 29, Fox News broadcasted a segment about political correctness at Washington State University.

Several professors in the department of Critical Culture, Gender and Race detailed in their syllabi that students must use politically correct language in their classrooms – including not using the terms “illegal” when describing immigrants who entered the country illegally, and “male/female” when referring to those who may or may not identify with those terms.

To begin with, political correctness is not silencing, nor is it the destruction of our country. Political correctness is treating people with respect.

Language evolves over time – its fluidity cannot be questioned. So does politics. It is not by any reach unreasonable for political language around identities to change. The only thing unreasonable would be for anyone to expect that that specific language should remain static and unchanging.

In alignment with this belief, on April 20, 2013, the Associated Press discontinued the use of “illegal” in relationship to describing a human being: “The Stylebook no longer sanctions the term ‘illegal immigrant’ or the use of ‘illegal’ to describe a person. Instead, it tells users that ‘illegal’ should describe only an action, such as living in or immigrating to a country illegally.”

I don’t see any journalists or readers boycotting the newspaper.

The terminology detailed by the professors is that of their field of study. You cannot walk into an Astronomy class and demand that the sun be called “the giant glow ball” – you go with the terminology that is required of you in that setting. That is what was asked of the students by the professors.

If losing points on the basis of using homophobic, transphobic, xenophobic, racist and sexist terminology seems too harsh, just wait until you get fired from your job for using them.

Furthermore, asking for respectful terminology when facilitating classroom discussion is not silencing. Discussions around specific issues are still being had while respecting and acknowledging the validity of both sides of the argument – how radical is that?

I believe that the professors’ request of their students to use inclusive language was reflective of their alignment with WSU’s values. In the seven learning outcomes of WSU’s undergraduate graduation requirements, one asks students to “tailor (their) message to the audience,” under “Communication.”

It is no secret that students of color make up a large portion of WSU’s campus, and by association, WSU’s audience.

According to WSU’s Quick Facts page, 26 percent of Pullman’s campus is “multicultural.” With 26,686 admitted students in 2014, according to WSU’s enrollment figures, 6,938 students are of multicultural background, or about 1 in every 3 students.

However, WSU released a statement that “using terms that may be deemed offensive to some” is not an offense that should be punished as deemed fit by the professor.

Well, how much is “some”?

Apparently, 1 in 3 is not enough to be considered a sizeable audience at this school.

Now, who are we to say that a student cannot call another a derogatory slur under the name of free speech?

Furthermore, what can be deemed as being a “legitimate” derogatory slur worthy of disciplinary action?

So, where are we now?

We stand at a place where faculty and students of color and LGBT+ identities can be subjected to hurtful language around their identities on the basis of free speech – and can’t do anything about it.

We stand at a place where constructing a space where all identities can be addressed with respect cannot happen because our matters do not matter.

We are a defined “some” that does not have enough numbers to it to be deemed worthy of protection. WSU has failed its students and faculty of color and LGBT+ identities.

“Go Cougs!” will be a little harder for “some” to say from now on.

Sophia Stephens is a senior english lierature and comparative ethnic studies major from wenatchee. She can be contacted at 335-2290 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of the Office of Student Media.