A Rainbow of information: color changing condoms

You heard right, color-changing condoms. They’re like mood rings for your genitals.

The idea for color-changing condoms has been floating around for a while but teenagers Muaz Nawaz, Daanyaal Ali, and Chirag Shah won a TeenTech award in east London this summer for the idea, saying they were inspired by color-changing HIV tests.

I feel that the novelty and color changing awesomeness might be enough to entice teens to be more proactive about their sexual health and to help lift some of the taboo that surrounds the sexuality of our age group. 

As a young person you need to realize the hard truth, that some of your sexual partners will lie to you. At the end of the day you are ultimately responsible for your own sexual health – take charge of your own lives. It is your body and you ultimately decide who can touch you. When, where and how should all be discussed before you engage in sexual activity.

The other side of this is to get tested regularly if you have intimate relations on a frequent basis. Condoms do not protect against every sexually transmitted infection (STI) or sexually transmitted disease (STD) out there, but they will protect against most.

It happens; the point is not to slut shame or feel guilty about getting an STI. Most sexually active people will contract an infection of one type or another at some point in their life.

Try to keep things casual but clear with your intimate partners, and if they won’t disclose their sexual history that is their right. Just make sure you wear protection.

Marsha Turnbull, a Registered Nursing Assistant and the Health Education Administrator for WSU Health and Wellness Clinic said that the color-changing condoms – like any new sexual health program – will have their pros and cons, but if it gets students and young people into the doctor or to use a condom properly then that will be a giant step in the right direction.

Turnbull explained that these condoms won’t eliminate the need for doctors or medication.

One of the cons for this product is what if a person gets a reaction indicating an STI but they do not seek treatment, or refuse to seek treatment?

Some of these problems don’t really have answers, but it will be interesting to look at the data on condom use if and when these condoms go public.

Turnbull said, “The most important thing [for young people] is using safer sex practices and having those difficult conversations with intimate partners.” According to Turnbull, the Health and Wellness Clinic also can run the gamut of sexually transmitted diseases, infections, and skin conditions, though prices will vary by test and insurance provider. I get checked at least once a year even though I have had the same intimate partner for over a year.

So my fellow Cougs, as we gear up for football season and please Creator let it be a good one, remember to wrap it before you tap it, ok?

Here’s some places around town you can scoop up some rubbers before the big weekend: Dissmore’s, Safeway, Walmart (though they were out when I was in there the other day), Rite Aid, and the Pharmacy at Health and Wellness Services.

If you are a little light on cash, you can get some at the Residence Halls (ask your RA), Sexual Health Program Presentations, Gender Identity Expression and Sexual Orientation Resource Center (GIESORC), and many events on Campus.

If you have a car or a ride, places like Planned Parenthood and the Whitman County Health buildings will also have condoms available.

Don’t know how to talk to your partner, or want to learn how to build a healthy relationship? No problem!

“Coug Health on Orgsync offers a range of classes, about 70-80, through the semester,” said Brad Stewart when asked about where students could get healthy relationship information. Upcoming events include: Healthy Relationships class on Monday, Sept. 14 at 4:10-5 p.m. and Intimate Connections class on Tuesday, Sept. 22 at 3:10-4 p.m. 

Jorden Wilson is a senior psychology major from Seattle. SHE can be contacted at 335-2290 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this TYPE are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of the Office of Student Media.