Drawing Derby Dames

This month’s Sketch Wednesday in the CUB will draw the eye with new art from students and local artists.

A live DJ and mock-tails will accompany the official unveiling of a new art exhibit featuring the work of WSU alumnus Henry Stinson.

The event will allow both students and local artists to promote and display their art as well as give them the direct opportunity to sell their art to the public.

Sketch Wednesday is an opportunity for both artists and students to get to interact with one another and create a positive arts community on campus.

Artists will also be creating small-scale works directly in front of the public.

“This is a great opportunity for students to actually get to talk to artists about their own art, and what art means to them,” said Logan Webbenhurst, director of the Student Entertainment Board (SEB).

Stinson’s new art series Derby Muse, featuring the Rolling Hills Derby Dames, will be on display in the CUB gallery and officially unveiled during the event.

CUB Gallery Programmer Jonathon Matteson reached out to Stinson in hopes of being able to bring an alumnus back to campus.

An alumnus of Washington State University, Stinson has maintained an active painting studio in Pullman while exhibiting art in Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Florida, Washington and Oregon as well as being featured in the United States Embassy in Switzerland.

This is SEB’s second installment of Sketch Wednesday this year, which will run approximately once a month to give students a continuous opportunity to both create and observe art. Webbenhurst said there will be no installments during October, but he plans to include two during November.

All students and artists are encouraged to come and share their art and appreciate art created by other students and local artists. Artists who want to sign up can find an artist registration form on SEB’s CougSync page.

Sketch Wednesday will run from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. in the CUB gallery located on the first floor.

Reporting by Chris Ryder