Free speech, I think not

When Washington State University became national news over a scandal of one instructor’s syllabus, I could not believe it. My growing frustration with the conversation finally peaked, and I needed to chime in with my opinion.

I understand that we need to be aware of others in classes and the language we use. However, what about students’ fundamental right to free speech?

Graduate teaching instructor Selena Lester Breikss warns her class that using terms she deems unacceptable could cause them to face disciplinary action.

The words “males” and “females” to refer to men and women, “illegal aliens” and “tranny” are some of her non-tolerated language, she writes in her syllabus.

How are we as students supposed to have an intellectual, constructive discussion if our essential rights are taken away?

Now, I am not completely against Breikss’ syllabus: “If I see (non-tolerated language) or hear (non-tolerated language), I will correct it in class since it can be a learning moment for many students,” Breikss wrote. 

It seems her intentions were for the better, wanting to allow a free discussion as a teaching tool, but I wonder if the limitations stated in her syllabus were too harsh.

I can’t speak on Breikss’ behalf. In fact when I tried to contact her for comment she referred me to Kathy Barnard, director of university communication, who then said they will not be commenting any further than the prepared statement by President Bernardo.

“Open dialogue, vigorous debate and the free exchange of ideas, as well as the language used to convey these ideas, are at the core of who we are as a higher education institution,” Bernardo stated in the prepared statement.

So, that must mean in order to have a meaningful discussion about race, gender or sexuality, we need to have our voices heard and accepted. We have the right to say whatever we want, and actually, I encourage us to do that. However, let’s not do it in a hateful, rude or bigoted way.

I’m sure if we took the teachings of Jesus he would agree.

In the New Testament it is stated that love is the new law (John 13:34 New International Version). With that in mind, when we encounter people, ideas and situations we may not agree with, we should always approach them with love and kindness.

When we enter into a discussion about topics that can be easily controversial, we need to realize that not everyone is brought up the same way with the same traditions and perspectives.

I strongly believe and stand by our right to free speech. I also stand by loving others and being understanding and respectful.

Amberlynne Umayam is a communication major from Marysville. She can be contacted at 335-2290 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of the Office of Student Media.