Google Glass is just like texting

Google is making it easier for us to crash our cars.

The evolution of technology never fails to amaze with the constant outpouring of new and better devices. Yet with new innovation comes consequences.

Everyone is familiar with laws that make driving while using cell phones illegal. So although Google’s newly released device isn’t quite a cell phone, the same laws should apply.

Google Glass, also known as Project Glass, is a 2013 technological accessory one can wear like a pair of glasses. This soon-to-be trend is designed like a hands-free smartphone and operated through voice commands. By simply saying “OK glass, take a picture” a photo will be taken of what the user is looking at, according to Google. It translates words, answers questions, sends messages and live videos, and most importantly projects GPS directions.

-Chelsea Keyes is a sophomore communication major from Tacoma. She can be contacted at 335-2290 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of Student Publications.

Cecilia Abadie was pulled over for speeding in San Diego, Calif., according to CNN. In addition to her speeding ticket, she was also issued what is suspected to be the first known ticket given out for driving while wearing Google Glass.

Driving laws vary from state to state and, according to the California Department of Motor Vehicles, “a person shall not drive a motor vehicle if . . . (a) monitor, screen or display is visible to the driver while driving the motor vehicle.” The law goes on to say that it does not apply to the equipment already installed in a car.

Abadie argued that the device was not on while she was driving, and said the screen projected up in the upper right hand corner of her eye does not impair one’s ability to drive.

However, in reality Google Glass still isn’t an exception. Based on the wording of the regulation, it is justifiable to be ticketed while wearing the glasses in the state of California and any other state that has a similar law.

Google Glass currently costs $1,500 for developers and will be available for personal consumption sometime next year. In 2014 there will be a new version of Google Glass that can be traded in by current users or bought by new users for the same price, according to The Telegraph. The new hardware will work with eyeglasses or shades and include an ear bud to replace the speaker in the current model.

The high price tag of Google Glass may make it rare for law enforcement to encounter this type of traffic violation, but eventually it will become much more common an occurrence.

According to the U.S. Department of Transportations, in 2011, 3,331 people were killed in crashes involving a distracted driver. An additional, 387,000 people were injured in motor vehicle crashes that involved a distracted driver.

Just because the device can be switched off and its screen is in the upper right hand corner does not mean it is not a distraction. Similar to a built-in navigations or GPS, you still have to take your eyes off of the road in order to see the directions.

These laws should be enforced even with the advent of new technology. These types of laws are enacted to prevent negligent driving and the needless deaths that accompany it.

We need to take responsibility and set the glasses aside. By doing so, not only will we keep the roads safe, but we also keep what little money we would have left after buying the glasses in our pockets.