Art gallery meets dance party

Students dance during last year’s Exposure event.

Dancing and music aren’t often encouraged in art museums, but the WSU Museum of Art offers a chance to do just that Saturday from 8 p.m. to midnight during its Exposure event.

The Museum of Art interns will host the interactive art event Exposure for the second time to present art students’ work and bring people into the museum gallery to enjoy a range of artistic performances.

“(Exposure) is to bring attention to the arts and the museum,” said Tracey Kraemer, a senior communication major and Exposure event coordinator.

Fifteen student artists will have their work on display and for sale in the foyer of the Fine Arts Building, and a dance party will take place in the museum gallery space itself, Kraemer said.

Music and dance coordinator Blake Nakatsu arranged to bring in slam poets, dancers and singers to supplement the work of KZUU disc jockeys during the event.

“I was really trying to go for a lot of unique sounds,” Nakatsu said.

There will also be visual uniqueness to this event, with a glow ceiling created from glow sticks and a projection of images onto the gallery wall, Nakatsu said. All of the work for the show was done by fine arts students and interns.

“The event is completely built ground up from the students, for the students,” said Zach Mazur, assistant curator for the Museum of Art.

Art museums face a problem with visitors feeling they need to know certain vocabulary in order to appreciate art, Mazur said. The purpose of Exposure is to dispose of that assumption, giving students the opportunity to appreciate art in a casual, energetic setting, he said.

“The hard thing about it is keeping students knowing that (the museum) is here,” Mazur said. “As soon as students discover we’re here, they graduate and we have to start all over again.”

Last year, Exposure was created in an attempt to combat the student body’s lack of knowledge about the museum, Nakatsu said.

“The whole idea last year was people would go their whole college career never knowing the museum was there,” he said.

With the changes in this year’s event, the museum staff is hoping to see about 200 students attend.

“I am really excited for the variety we’re bringing into the gallery,” Nakatsu said.

At 8 p.m., vocal performances will begin. Later in the evening, KZUU disc jockeys will take over the entertainment. South Fork’s food truck will be present to provide food for the event and admission is free.