A service classification

Out of 400 colleges across the country, Washington State University was presented with two awards for its community involvement.

The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching awarded WSU with a community engagement classification, and the Corporation for National and Community Service placed the university on the 2014 President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll.

“This is one way WSU is recognized as a place that cares,” said Melanie Brown, director of the WSU Center for Civic Engagement (CCE).

WSU was placed on the president’s honor roll in two categories; community service and education.

The community service award recognized over 8,000 students who participated in nearly 75,000 hours of service. The education category award honored WSU’s service work within local schools. Pen Friends is one of the programs offered through the CCE that provides WSU students with the opportunity to volunteer in local elementary schools. Over 3,000 letters were sent to first through fourth grade students last year to help improve their literacy skills.

The community engagement classification has been renewed for another 10 years. It had been in place for the past five years and honors WSU community engagement on a local and state level.

“Whether you’re a faculty member, administrator or a student, you are a part of what makes a Coug a Coug,” said Anson Fatland, WSU’s associate vice president for economic development. “This award represents the commitment of the community.”

The Carnegie Foundation stated that “excellent alignment among campus mission, culture, leadership, resources, and practices to support dynamic and noteworthy community engagement,” were reasons for the classification.

WSU was also recognized for the work they do throughout the state.

“The work we have done in the extension field really helped in winning the award,” Fatland said.

WSU’s work with extension centers located in every county of Washington helped industries, businesses and communities statewide.

WSU was one of 240 U.S. colleges awarded with the classification.

Reporting by Cole Campitiello