Queer Joy, Expression Exhibition on the horizon

Submissions open until Sunday; art, written pieces accepted

HALLIE CROMWELL

The exhibition is meant to showcase art queer people create that expresses joy and their personality, said Nick Vyas, senior genetics and cell biology major and GSA secretary.

ALEXANDRIA OSBORNE, Editor-in-chief

​​The Gender and Sexuality Alliance at WSU is hosting a Queer Joy and Expression Exhibition on Tuesday. 

Nick Vyas, senior genetics and cell biology major and GSA secretary, said students can submit art or written pieces; if someone wants to present a spoken piece, they can do so on opening night.

Opening night begins at 6 p.m. at the Gender Identity/Expression and Sexual Orientation Resource Center in the Compton Union Building room 401, Vyas said. 

The exhibition is meant to showcase art queer people create that expresses joy and their personality. The soft deadline for submissions is Friday, and the hard deadline is Sunday, he said. 

“[The art shows] who they are and how it feels to be queer and a part of the community,” Vyas said. 

The inspiration for the exhibition came from the exhibition the Women*s Center put on for Black History Month, he said. Some of the pieces will be shown in the Harpy*s Magazine, which is the Women*s Center’s student-run magazine.

An article about the exhibition will be published in the magazine along with some of the art displayed around the room. The art will be put on display in GIESORC for all of April, so having some pieces published in Harpy*s Magazine will draw attention to the exhibition and will direct people to see what is on display, he said. 

Vyas said he is looking forward to seeing how everyone expresses themselves, especially since GSA wanted to focus on queer joy for the exhibition. 

“There’s already so much queer trauma in the community that we were wondering if we should do something about queer joy, especially with the Trans Day of Awareness coming up,” he said. 

Vyas said GSA might make it a semester or yearly event, depending on how this exhibition goes.