One last ride for WSU volleyball 

Five WSU seniors return for 2023 

WSU volleyball players high-five fans after sweeping UW, Nov. 25.

The 2022 WSU volleyball team features some of the most decorated players in the history of the program. But on their 2022 senior night against the Huskies, only a single player was commemorated. That player is a fifth-year transfer, Laura Jansen.

That leaves out Karly Basham, Pia Timmer, Weronika Wojdyla, Julia Norville and Magda Jehlarova. However, there is a reason for them not experiencing the festivities: One Last Dance.

On Wednesday, WSU Athletics announced that all five seniors will return for one last dance in the 2023 season.

With experience and chemistry unmatched by any other team in the conference, they will certainly be favored as a top-four finishing team. They may run the table in the 2023 NCAA tournament. 

To celebrate one more year of the successful Super Five, take a look at all five and their career accomplishments up to this point. 

Karly Basham – The defensive specialist and libero of the team has also adopted the role of the team’s leading hype woman. Transferring from Texas A&M, 2022 was the second year that the libero was in Pullman.

Prior to the Apple Cup, she put up 125 assists, led the team with 37 service aces and 1.15 aces per set and, on the defensive end, had 334 digs and 3.06 digs per set. 

Pia Timmer – Timmer has been one of the two keys of the Cougar offense for several years at this point. She is a two-time member of the Pac-12 All-Conference First Team, a two-time member of the AVCA Pacific North All-Region team and made the 2019 Pac-12 All-Freshman Team. 

In 2022 she expanded on her impressive career. She had 367 kills on 3.43 per set, the second-highest clip of her career, 21 assists and 35 service aces and on the defensive side, she had 207 digs and 34 total blocks entering the Apple Cup.

Weronika Wojdyla – The Polish hitter has only this season found consistent playing time and is averaging 0.34 kills per set when she appears and is one of the best depth pieces in the entire conference. When asked to step in she is able to get the job done and is a vital part of this team. 

Julia Norville – A specialist for the Cougs, has shown flashes at the service line and on the defensive for the team. She has 28 service aces and 192 digs thus far this season and has steadied the ship in the backcourt entering the Apple Cup.

Magda Jehlarova – One of the most decorated and dominant Cougs in program history, has cemented her position in the record books. Against UCLA, she put herself in the second place in program history in career total blocks and was named to the 2022 Academic All-District team. 

She is a two-time AVCA All-American, three-time All-Pac 12 Honoree, three-time AVCA Pacific North All-Region First Team, 2019 AVCA National Freshman of the Year, 2019 AVCA Pacific North Freshman of the Year, 2019 Pac 12 Freshman of the Year, 2019 Pac 12 All-Freshman Team, 2019 Volleyballmag.com Freshman All-American, two-time CoSIDA Academic All-District and a two-time member of the Pac 12 Academic Honor Roll.

2022 has been just as dominant for the middle blocker from the Czech Republic as she has 270 kills, 26 service aces, 66 digs, 133 total blocks and 11 assists prior to the Apple Cup. She has a career-high of 2.48 kills per set and 1.47 blocks per set, having one of the most dominant seasons in WSU history. 

With all five returning in 2023, expectations will be high and a Pac-12 Conference Championship appearance will not be out of the question for the squad.