ASWSU approves on-campus traffic revisions, confirms new delegate

The senators voted to pass bills to amend the constitution and resolutions to make the roads safer

DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

ASWSU holds Jan. 17 meeting over zoom due to weather concerns.

JOSIAH PIKE, Evergreen news co-editor

ASWSU confirmed Leonardo Wilson-Ramirez as their freshman delegate, as well as approved a traffic light on Northeast North Fairway Road and Stadium Way in light of recent accidents. 

“My greatest strength is my work ethic and my ability to do things well with others,” Ramirez said. “The reason I’m trying to be more involved is because during my first semester, I wasn’t very involved at all.”

An important piece of legislation for consideration was Resolution 52-10, calling for the implementation of a traffic light on Northeast North Fairway Road and Stadium Way. This resolution was introduced to help make the intersection safer because there has been an increase in traffic accidents. Date for implementation is to be determined. 

The senators then moved on to Resolution 52-11, which aims to include flashing beacons at the crosswalk at the Troy Lane bus stop crosswalk, which was also proposed as a way to make the roads in that area safer. Date for implementation is to be determined. 

The senators voted unanimously to confirm Ramirez’s nomination. The first guest the senators heard from was Asian Pacific American Student Coalition chair Marc Armas, who was there for the semesterly check up.

Armas announced the celebration of Asian History month has been moved from May to April to give students more time to celebrate the events on campus and shared some of the planned events for the month, including an Easter egg hunt on April 7 and a formal on April 23.

In addition, Armas said he encouraged people to run for elected cabinet positions, since they may have a low level of applicants. 

The next guest was Edwin Gianini, who is a member of the Cougs First organization. He came to talk about Think Cougs, a student engagement program, to help students get involved with organizations.

The event will be from 11 a.m.–3 p.m. April 29 at Airway Hills Golf Center. The first hour will be networking with members of Cougs First

The senators examined Senate Bill 52-35, which is meant to officially change the constitution to acknowledge senators are elected by their college and not by living arrangements, a change not yet amended into the constitution because it has not been amended since 2008. Senators used to be elected based on whether they lived on or off campus. The bill was passed.

Next week is ASWSU’s joint Pullman City Council meeting, which will be held after their regularly scheduled meeting around 6:30 p.m.