Cougs kickoff 2023 season in Fort Collins

WSU football opens on the road for the first time since 2020
WSU+quarterback+Cameron+Ward+throws+a+pass+during+an+NCAA+football+game+against+Colorado+State%2C+Sep.+17%2C+2022%2C+in+Pullman%2C+Wash.+
WSU quarterback Cameron Ward throws a pass during an NCAA football game against Colorado State, Sep. 17, 2022, in Pullman, Wash.

Coming off a 7-6 season, the Cougs take a road trip to face off with the Colorado State Rams of the Mountain West Conference. WSU is 1-1 all-time against CSU, having defeated them 38-7 last year on the Palouse. 

WSU has won four of their last five season openers but fell to Utah State last time they opened against a Mountain West school in 2021. 

The WSU offense under new offensive coordinator Ben Arbuckle and quarterback Cam Ward looks to be much-improved from 2022, having shown out in the team’s fall scrimmage with a near-flawless performance.

Last year against Colorado State, Ward threw for 299 yards and four touchdowns, and running back Nakia Watson had eight carries for 74, averaging 9.3 yards per carry. 

New defensive coordinator Jeff Schmedding will also look to build off success against CSU last year. The Cougar defense registered seven sacks, five quarterback hits, and an interception. Head coach Jake Dickert said the key was putting CSU behind the chains.

“You choose spots to attack, we did a good job stopping the run and putting them behind the chains and allowing ourselves to go out there and pass rush,” Dickert said.

Despite the success WSU had last year against a CSU team that went 3-9, Dickert has continued to stay humble and voice his respect for the program, and for their head coach Jay Norvell. 

There is something to take from last year, and one thing is consistent, CSU likes to run the air raid, Dickert said, but they have made changes, and that requires the Cougs to adjust as well.

“As the season went on they got more creative in their protection schemes, so week one we gotta figure out what that looks like, how to attack it, and then our four-down pass rush has to live up to its billing, and I think out guys will,” Dickert said.

WSU has plenty of veteran leadership, with team captains like Chau Smith-Wade, Brennan Jackson, Ron Stone Jr., Lincoln Victor, Cam Ward and Konner Gomness. That will be key in helping the young guys prepare for week one on the road.

“One of the things I always say and [the new guys] always laugh at me is, ‘Dude you’re better than I was at your age,’ at their age, they are so skillful, they are a lot farther along in their skillsets than I was at their age,” Jackson said when asked how he helps the young guys who have never gone on the road.

Another key factor this week will be the elevation. Canvas Stadium in Fort Collins has an elevation of 5,190 feet, which is the sixth highest in all of college football, Martin Stadium is at just 2,510 feet. The Cougs will rotate plenty early, and hydration is key, Dickert said.

“It’s gonna be hot, and I think the heat adds to it, we practiced at noon and it was 90 degrees the other day. I think it was important for guys to get through that mock game and realize what it takes. I think there’s a hydration level and I think you have a plan going in early to make sure you’re rotating,” Dickert said.

This game is also a battle between brothers. WSU receiver Kyle Williams, a transfer from UNLV, is the brother of CSU defensive back Mychai Williams. We can only hope to see them face off.

Overall WSU was 3-2 on the road last year, and CSU was just 2-4 at home. If WSU can avoid a slow start like the last two seasons, it should be a big confidence booster heading into week two. 

The Cougs suit up in their crimson helmets, crimson facemasks, white tops and crimson bottoms for the first time since 2020. The game starts at 4:02 p.m. on Saturday, and it can be watched on the CBS Sports Network.