Fast start critical for WSU football

The emphasis for the Cougs in 2023 is exploding out of the gate
WSU+wide+receiver+Lincoln+Victor+jumps+for+a+pass+during+an+NCAA+football+game+against+Colorado+State%2C+Sep.+17%2C+2022.+
HAILEE SPEIR
WSU wide receiver Lincoln Victor jumps for a pass during an NCAA football game against Colorado State, Sep. 17, 2022.

Two years ago the Cougars stumbled in week one, falling 26-23 to Utah State, a Mountain West school. Last year WSU got a week one win, but in less than impressive fashion beating FCS Idaho 24-17 at home.

This year the Cougs go on the road to face a Colorado State program that WSU beat 38-7 last year. While every year is a new challenge, the widespread expectation is the Cougs get it going early this year against a team they had no issues with a year ago.

Now in year two as head coach, Jake Dickert has continually emphasized getting off to a fast start throughout fall camp up to now. The key, Dickert said, is attacking game week preparation, and staying focused.

“If we attack in practice, I know our guys are attacking things right and they’re gonna go out there with the right mentality to get a win,” Dickert said. “Nothing else matters besides Colorado State, and that’ll be our focus, that’ll be the way we attack this week, and that’ll be the way we attack this game.”

No team can expect to be perfect, especially in week one. But the little things are something the Cougs need to tighten up before taking the road, Dickert said.

“That’s the biggest thing in week one, pre-snap and post-snap penalties, all the little things that set you behind. Who’s going to win the ball battle? I think the takeaway margin early on in games is huge, and we got to make sure we’re getting off to a fast start,” Dickert said.

Even with a huge matchup on the horizon in Wisconsin in week two, the Cougar’s focus is on this week’s opponent only. The key to the Coug’s success in 2023 may ride on week one, and getting off to a fast start.