Through the Lens: WSU dominates Northern Colorado at home

WSU beats second Colorado team of 2023
Lincoln+Victor+celebrates+a+TD+reception+against+Northern+Colorado%2C+Sept.+16.+
Lincoln Victor celebrates a TD reception against Northern Colorado, Sept. 16.
WSU run on the field before taking on Northern Colorado, Sept. 16.

In mid-80° degree heat, WSU took down Northern Colorado 64-21 in Martin Stadium to start the season undefeated at 3-0 heading into Pac-12 Conference play.  After a big first-half that saw the Cougs go up 43-7, the backups got to play significant snaps and get in-game reps.

Fans brought out the signs once again when the Cougs took on Northern Colorado, Sept. 16.

The band also had a special showcase, as the alumni band came down to Pullman to celebrate 100 years of the band’s existence with a halftime performance.

Cam Ward got the offense flowing quick and early, putting up five total touchdowns (four passing, one rushing) before sitting the second half of the game to let the backups get reps. He finished 20-of-26 passing for 327 yards, a QB rating of 233.3. He missed only a few throws and overall looked the sharpest he has been all season.

Lincoln Victor, the biggest WSU breakout of the young season had yet another great game, but it could have been even better.

He finished the game with six receptions for 119 yards and two receiving TDs, with his 119 yards including 80 yards after the reception. Still, he had a wide-open TD and the ball hit him right in the hands. But the ball fell to the red turf of the endzone without a score.

John Mateer also had a fantastic game, impressing with both his arm and legs in his quarter-plus of action. Passing-wise, he finished 7-of-8 for 138 yards and two TDs for an incredible 314.9 QB rating. His legs arguably looked more impressive, with a first down run including the backup QB reversing field and spinning away from a tackle to pick up the first down.

John Mateer tries to fit the ball in a seem against Northern Colorado, Sept. 16.
John Mateer dances around the Northern Colorado defense on long-running gain, Sept. 16.

Not only from Mateer, the rushing attack proved to be the best it has been all season for the Cougs, with the team picking up 236 total yards on the ground, by far the most they have had this season. Nakia Watson punched in a score and had 41 yards, but backup Dylan Paine led the team with 81 yards and a score.

Freshman Djouvensky Schlenbaker had 41 yards himself on just four attempts, with his longest run being a 20-yard gain late. Three other rushers had at least 10 yards, with the love being properly spread in the running back room and by the QBs.

More Photos from the Win: