NCAA week four featured five key results

Upsets, blowouts and beatdowns theme of week
HAILEE SPEIR
WSU mascot Butch T. Cougar rides out at the beginning of the fourth quarter during an NCAA football game against Oregon State, Saturday, September 23, 2023 in Pullman, Wash.

The Cougs proved they are legit in a week four upset of a top 15 program in Oregon State, the Beavers rivals in the Oregon Ducks not only stopped the Deion Sanders and Colorado hype train, they sent it back hundreds of feet.

Overall the week had several ranked matchups that have implications for the College Football Playoff and Conference landscapes as a whole as all teams move forward into the heart of the season. 

WSU vs. Oregon State 

For the second time in 2023, the Cougs played on primetime TV and upset a ranked opponent. After beating Wisconsin a fortnight ago, WSU hosted the Conference foe and de facto best friend of the Pac-12 Beavers in the “Pac-2” Championship Game. 

Pac-2 signs riddled the student section as the two teams left in the Conference playing the inagural “Pac-2 Championship.” Sept. 23.

The home Cougs set the tone with a second play of the game, a huge TD to Kyle Williams and never looked back, holding onto the lead the rest of the game and coming out on top 38-35. Cam Ward had 404 yards and five total TDs. 

HAILEE SPEIR
WSU football player Kyle Willams catches the ball for the first touchdown of the game during an NCAA football game against Oregon State, Saturday, September 23, 2023 in Pullman, Wash.

Ward impressed, but the standout was Josh Kelly. With multiple one-handed grabs, three receiving TD’s and 159 yards, he came up big after Lincoln Victor left the game early with an injury.

JULIAN CABALLERO
WSU wide receiver Josh Kelly shows some swagger against Oregon State September 23, 2023 at Martin Stadium in Pullman, Wash.

Ohio State vs. Notre Dame 

It’s the biggest game of the week if you ask College Gameday. If Notre Dame wins they would make the CFP easily if they win out, if Ohio State wins, they can potentially lose one game during the season and still make the playoff. 

In the Fighting Irish’s home stadium, the Buckeyes came in and walked it off with a last-second TD to steal away a 17-14 victory. The low-scoring affair saw a halftime line of 3-0 in favor of Ohio State.

Defenses stood strong until the end, but the offense got the last laugh in the final seconds as Ohio State now has one of the most impressive victories of the season four weeks in. 

Clemson vs. Florida State 

After being upset earlier this season, Clemson looked to spoil the Seminoles top 5 season. Up a TD in the third quarter, FSU tied it up and a scoreless fourth quarter meant this game was going in overtime.

Jordan Travis got his team the win with a 24-yard passing TD in OT that made sure that Florida State remains firmly in CFP contention going forward. After beating LSU earlier this season, a loss to a Clemson team quickly out of the top 25 after this law likely would spell diaster for the team finally looking to be ready to be a part of the conversation of best teams in the nation. 

Oregon vs. Colorado 

So much for Colorado getting all the hype. 13-0 after one quarter, 35-0 after a half, 42-0 after three, it was never close. The Ducks were better in the trenches, in the secondary, on the ground, through the air and on special teams. 

Missing Travis Hunter was big for the Buffaloes, but no single player changes the outcome of this blowout. Bo Nix finished with 276 yards and three TDs. Four Ducks had at least 20 yards on the ground, with the leader putting up 89 yards. 

The defense kept Shedeur Sanders to just 159 yards and one TD, completely killing what had been a surprising Heisman-like season through his first three games. With another tough match against USC next up for “Primetime’s” team, it likely will be another blowout. 

Ole Miss vs. Alabama 

With how the Tide have looked in 2023, this seemed like a potential trap game. Going back to Jalen Milroe after trying out other QBs last week appeared to be the right move. Alabama came out unscathed with a 24-10 win, with Jase McClellan having a big 105-rushing-yard game for the team. 

Jaxson Dart and the Ole Miss offense struggled to get things going, as he had just 244 yards and an interception as the Rebels just scored 10 points in the contest. 

The win brings Alabama back up to No. 12 in the nation, but with a flurry of ranked teams in the SEC, they can run the table and make some noise through the rest of the year.