Cougs prepare to let it reign against 13 out of conference opponents

Cougs open season at 4 p.m. Nov. 6
Courtesy of WSU Athletics
WSU head coach Kamie Ethrige hoists the Pac-12 Championship trophy as her WSU women’s basketball team celebrates after beating UCLA 65-61 in the Pac-12 Championship, March 5, 2023 in the Michelob ULTRA Arena in Las Vegas.

For the first time in program history, WSU women’s basketball enters the new season as the reigning Conference Champions. They also return a majority of their roster and have added a slew of new players who figure to slide into the floor rotation nicely.

The Cougs return four out of last year’s starters and a strong freshman and transfer recruiting class.

In recognition of their historic season and roster stability, the Cougs earned just their third AP Top 25 ranking in program history and first preseason ranking ever, debuting on the 2023–24 poll as the No. 24 team in the nation. 

The Cougs are one of six Pac-12 Conference teams on the preseason poll, setting up another highly competitive Conference season in the final year of the Pac-12 as we know it.

Before a rather tense and awkward Pac-12 play, the Cougs have an out-of-conference schedule with some rather intriguing matchups.

Exhibition

WSU women’s hoops suits up about a week early to play an exhibition game at Beasley Coliseum. The Cougs will host University of Montana Western at 12 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 29. It will be the first chance to see the five Cougar newcomers dawn the Crimson and Gray for a game in Beasley as the Cougs get warmed up prior to their 31-game regular season.

WSU vs. Cal Poly | 4 p.m. Monday, Nov. 6 at Beasley Coliseum

The Cougars’ season opener is part of the doubleheader as the men’s team hosts University of Idaho in a return of the Battle of the Palouse that night at 8.

Cal Poly posted a 10-18 overall record under first-year head coach Shanele Stires

Stires returns for her second year as head coach, having already tripled Cal Poly’s win total from the prior season. 

This will be WSU’s first matchup with Cal Poly.

WSU vs. Gonzaga | 7 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 9 at Beasley Coliseum

Gonzaga lost to Portland in the West Coast Conference Championship in Las Vegas. While they failed to win their Conference as Wazzu did, they joined WSU in losing in the first round of the NCAA Tournament as they lost to Ole Miss 71-48.

Their last game was a 71-59 Cougar win in Spokane on Dec. 8, 2021. Wazzu is 6-10 all-time versus their northern neighbors. Adam Sandler may have randomly visited Gonzaga women’s basketball’s practice, but Coug fans know he should have traveled about 90 minutes south to visit the most fun school in the state.

WSU vs. Idaho State | 2:30 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 12 at Beasley Coliseum

The Cougs have never lost a game to the Bengals, holding a 3-0 all-time record against Idaho State. Their last meeting was a Cougar win on Dec. 1, 2017. This year’s game is the Cougs’ third game in the first week of the season.

WSU at Montana | 6 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 14 at Dahlberg Arena in Missoula, Montana

The Cougs are 1-5 all-time against the Grizz with their lone win an early highlight of last season as the Cougs beat Montana 77-57 in Pullman. The Cougs will try to win in Missoula for the first time against a Montana team that went 14-16 in 2022–23.

WSU at Prairie View A&M | 5:30 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 19 at William Nicks Building in Prairie View, Texas

The second installment of the Pac-12 / SWAC Legacy Series provides WSU the opportunity to travel to a Historically Black University and raise awareness of the history and importance of HBCUs. Last year’s Legacy Series in Pullman allowed Prairie View A&M and WSU to share a meal together and interact off the basketball court.

WSU is 2-0 all-time versus the Panthers with their 89-61 win in Pullman being a part of their 2022–23 season.

Cancun Challenge

The Cougs head south to Cancun, Mexico for the three-game Cancun Challenge against Maryland (8 a.m. Nov. 23), Massachusetts (8 a.m. Nov. 24) and Green Bay (10:30 a.m. Nov. 25).

The Cougs are 1-1 all-time versus Maryland.

The Terrapins had a very successful season in which they finished 28-7 overall, bowing out against two teams ranked in the top five of women’s basketball.

They lost in the Big Ten Tournament, 89-84 to then-No. 7 Iowa and won three NCAA Tournament games (including against then-No. 25 Arizona then-No. 10 Notre Dame) before standing between then-No. 1 South Carolina and potential glory. Maryland lost to the Gamecocks 86-75.

This will be the Cougars’ first meeting with Massachusetts and Green Bay.

WSU vs. Texas A&M – Commerce | 7 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 29 at Beasley Coliseum

WSU has never faced Texas A&M-Commerce but will host the Southland Conference team that went 14-19 last year.

WSU vs. UC Davis | 7 p.m. Friday, Dec. 1 at Beasley Coliseum

The Cougs are 3-3 against UC Davis all-time with their most recent matchup being a 71-49 Cougar win in Davis, California.

WSU at South Dakota State | 4 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 5 at Frost Arena in Brookings, SD

The Cougs have only beaten the Jackrabbits once, as head coach Kamie Ethridge’s 2022–23 squad set the record straight with a slew of schools the Cougs had never beaten before.

WSU is 1-3 vs. South Dakota State all time, but beat them 61-41 in Pullman.

Wazzu seeks to keep that same energy up on the road.

WSU vs. Houston | 2 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 17 at Beasley Coliseum 

It’s Cougs vs. Cougs and for just the second time ever for this particular matchup. A 70-63 win was another highlight of last year’s 2022–23 season and the WSU Cougars hope they can beat the Houston Cougars yer again in Houston’s first trip to Pullman.

WSU at Auburn | Noon, Wednesday, Dec. 20 at Neville Arena in Auburn, AL

The Cougs round out their out-of-conference schedule with their first-ever game against the Auburn Tigers of the Southeastern Conference. Auburn went 16-15 last year and made it the the second round of the Women’s National Invitational Tournament.

Pac-12 Conference

Expect a more thorough Pac-12 women’s basketball preview to come but there is nothing surprising about the fact that over half of the Pac-12 is ranked in the AP preseason Top 25 poll.

The Cougars have an early Pac-12 opening date with University of Washington at 1 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 10. 

The Huskies had the Cougars’ number in early Pac-12 play last year in Seattle, winning 82-66 despite Charlisse Leger-Walker posting 40 points. WSU was much more successful on their home court later in the year winning 66-52 for only their 12th win against UW of all-time. WSU is 12-36 against the Huskies but Ethridge’s squad had a five-game win streak going against the Dawgs from 2020–22.

As WSU figures out a conference future for itself, a sweep of the Huskies in their last shot is exactly what the homegrown doctor ordered.

WSU was 9-9 in Pac-12 play but beat four teams in five days (including three top 25 teams) to win the Pac-12 Championship in Las Vegas.

With four starters returning and plenty of talent throughout the roster, the Cougs look to tackle their out-of-conference and Pac-12 schedules head-on for what could be the most entertaining year yet.