Cougs vs. Vandals: Homecoming 2013

Before the Cougar football team takes on the Idaho Vandals in Martin Stadium Saturday, students will get the chance to compete in a series of homecoming events during the week of Sept. 16.

Student Entertainment Board (SEB) Special Events programmer Logan Webbenhurst has worked hard to make sure this year’s homecoming week lives up to its expectations.

To increase student involvement, SEB plans to get the Greek chapters and residence halls to collaborate for events, he said.

“I really stressed to all the chapters and residence halls that we’re one university,” Webbenhurst said. “We’re all Cougs that are here to have fun.”

One event teaming up Greek houses and residence halls is the street fair on Friday. Greek chapters will be paired up with a residence hall to host a fair booth together, he said. Booths will include carnival games and other activities chosen by each team.

Panhellenic President Lyndsie Wright said pairing up the two communities is a great idea.

“We always encourage participation with people and organizations outside of the Greek community, and what better time than now,” she said.

Some differences about homecoming this year include a blood drive, magic show and points for participants who attend the Volleyball game against UI on Sept. 19 in Bohler Gym.

Lunch time activities on the Mall are another change for homecoming 2013. Organizations including the Interfraternity Council and Residence Hall Association will host events throughout the week.

The competitive spirit of homecoming will be a highlight of this year’s events, Wright said.

“It’s a nice way to form a little rivalry with U of I being just across the border,” she said. “It might give students the opportunity to re-connect with old friends who might attend U of I.”

Sophomore Sam Bassford said the competitive atmosphere is something to look forward to this year.

“It will be a great atmosphere because we’re both from the Palouse, but the Vandals don’t stand a chance,” Bassford said.

For more information about homecoming events visit the SEB Facebook page at facebook.com/SEB.WSU.