WSU women’s hoops returns championship level roster

Cougs brought back much of tournament squad
Charlisse+Leger-Walker+attempts+to+close+out+on+defense+in+WSUs+exhibition+match%2C+Oct.+29%2C+in+Pullman%2C+Wash.++
Charlisse Leger-Walker attempts to close out on defense in WSU’s exhibition match, Oct. 29, in Pullman, Wash.

WSU women’s basketball enters the 2023–24 season with 13 players on their roster, representing nine countries. The Cougs seek to defend their 2023 Pac-12 Championship in the final year of the traditional Pac-12. 

Head coach Kamie Ethridge said she expects her team to spread the ball around the court more so than in previous years, allowing their star scorers Charlisse Leger-Walker to face fewer double and triple teams because of the scoring prowess of the rest of the lineup.

The Cougs return the majority of their roster from last season, but the losses and additions are not without significance. They lost influential senior starter Ula Motuga and program-molding seniors Grace Sarver and Emma Nankervis to graduation while also losing freshman in-state recruit Lauren Glazier and redshirt freshman Kaia Woods to the transfer portal. 

With the five open scholarship spots to add to a talented and experienced core, WSU emerged as an attractive destination for Washougal, Washington, native and University of Idaho standout Beyonce Bea. The four freshmen the Cougs recruited figure to help WSU win this year and for years to come as the program will eventually have to deal with not only the loss of the traditional Pac-12, but also program legends Leger-Walker and Bella Murekatete.

But that is an issue for next year as in 2023, the Cougs return a talented and balanced roster, ready to jump into a competitive out of conference schedule and into Pac-12 play where the No. 24 WSU Cougars are one of six ranked teams.

Johanna Teder (fifth-year) Tartu, Estonia Audentese Spordigumnaasium South Plains College

Teder announced Oct. 25 that she would not play this year because of an injury she had dealt with the past two years that had limited her playing time. Teder, a fifth-year from Estonia with a knack for the 3-pointer, gave critical minutes and scoring prowess to the Cougs throughout her three years on the Palouse.

Bella Murekatete (fifth-year center) Butare Huye, Rwanda Genesis Prep Academy Post Falls, Idaho

Murekatete joined Leger-Walker as one of two All-Conference preseason players at WSU, which at this point should not surprise anyone. She is a talented bucket-getter with an irreplaceable personality. Murekatete’s post moves have elevated from good to great and her celebrations rival her play, especially the moment when she borrowed a WSU band member’s trumpet during an on-court celebration when the Cougs punched their ticket to the Pac-12 Championship.

Ethridge praised Murekate for elevating her work ethic and effort last offseason. The six-foot-three center scored an average of 3.6 more points per game than her junior year (10.2 in 2021–22 to 13.8 in ‘22–23). With that same work ethic and stellar talent this year, Murekatete figures to be another big part of the Cougar attack.

Beyonce Bea (Graduate Transfer forward) Washougal, Wash. Washougal HS, University of Idaho

The Washougal, Washington  native scored 1,938 points in four years at Idaho, the second most in program history.

After Idaho’s head coach left several weeks after the season, she wanted to control her environment and only had to look eight miles away for the perfect fit.

“Bea chose us because I think she really wanted to win at the highest level,” Ethridge said. “It is our responsibility to put her in a position to affect the game and to help us and again, she’s someone you can count on. She’s a big-moment player.”

Bea figures to pace the Cougs in rebounds and be a reliable bucket getter as she stretches the floor and opens up opportunities for her teammates.

Charlisse Leger-Walker (senior) Waikato, New Zealand St. Peter’s School Cambridge

Leger-Walker is the bonafide star of this team and through three years in the program has built quite the legacy already.

Her accolades include three All-Pac-12 Conference team selections, All-Pac-12 Freshman of the Year (2020–21), and more. She was also a top 10 finalist for the Anne Meyers Drysdale Award last season.

A lot has been written on Leger-Walker, but the senior sharpshooter continues to write her own story.

Jessica Clarke (senior) North Vancouver, Canada Saint Thomas Aquinas

Clarke saw career highs in minutes last season, averaging double digit *hyphenate -BW minutes (11 per game). She provided essential relief for Murekatete.

Tara Wallack (junior) South Surrey, Canada Semiahmoo Secondary

When Wallack is on, Wallack is on. The junior from South Surrey had streaks of brilliance last season. She has the tools and seeks to be one of the many scoring threats in the Cougs’ lineup.

Astera Tuhina (sophomore) Pristina, Kosovo Deportivo Promete

Tuhina quickly established herself as a leader for the offense as a freshman. In the four games Leger-Walker missed, the Cougs stayed alive largely because of China’s leadership. In year two, she will have further opportunities as a day one starter.

Kyra Gardner (sophomore)  Raymond, Wash. Raymond HS

Gardner was one of best high school basketball players in the state. The 2021–22 Gatorade Washington Girls Basketball Player of the Year found her way to the Crimson and Gray last year. She had a fairly reserved bench role, but will seek to take the next steps as soon as she returns to full strength.

Cia Eklöf (redshirt freshman) Helsinki, Finland Mäkelänrinteen Lukio Torpan Pojat

Eklöf did not touch the floor last season, and may find herself out there this year. The U-16 Finnish Champion is one of four players unavailable to start the season who may return.

Eleonora Villa (freshman) Lissone, Italy Costa Masnaga

One of three freshmen on WSU’s 100% freshmen bench, Eleonora equaled Leger-Walker’s point total in Sunday’s exhibition game versus Montana Western with 17.

Jenna Villa (freshman) Arlington, Wash. Arlington HS

Another in-state standout, Jenna joins Eleonora as freshmen Villas on the team, with no relation. Ethridge said Jenna Villa led the Cougs in scoring during the Europe tour exhibition games.

Alex Covill (freshman center) Missoula, Mont. Missoula Hellgate HS

Covill made some plays on Sunday as she joined the Cougars’ all-freshman bench to start the season. She comes from a basketball family as both of her parents played at University of Montana.

Candace Kpetikou (freshman center) Niamey, Niger Saint Joseph HS (Calif.)

Kpetikou played high school ball in California where her team was undefeated in the regular season. She will start the season as one of the Cougar’s four inactive players and may redshirt.

These 13 Cougs will make their 2023–24 regular season debuts at 4 p.m. Monday at Beasley Coliseum as they take on Cal Poly.