Moscow gym strives to foster healthy, inclusive community 

North Idaho Athletic Club in Moscow unites community
NIAC owner Blake Taylor cheers on competitors as they squat heavy weights, Jan. 20, 2024, in Moscow, Idaho. Taylor cheered for every single competitor while waiting for his turn to lift.

Blake and Tia Taylor own the North Idaho Athletic Club in Moscow, Idaho. The two not only had their first date at a gym but also got engaged at the gym. Their entire livelihoods revolve around fitness, and they strive to create a healthy and inclusive environment in the gym.

The Taylors bought NIAC in September 2021, completing a lifelong dream of owning their gym. They purchased the gym at a time when society began to inch closer to a sense of normalcy. 

Gentry Jesson successfully squats over four plates in front of a large crowd at the NIAC powerlifting competition, Jan. 20, 2024, in Moscow, Idaho. Jesson yelled as he rose from the floor, his screams permeating through the room.

“We picked it up at a good time,” Blake said. “It was a slower transition, but people are starting to come back to the gym and getting out of the COVID slump.” 

NIAC personal trainer Elijah Snell relaxes on the bench after successfully benching over two plates during the competition, Jan. 20, 2024, in Moscow, Idaho. Snell stretched out his arms and exhaled as he looked up to the ceiling.
Families and friends gather to watch their loved ones compete in the NIAC powerlifting competition, Jan. 20, 2024, in Moscow, Idaho.

The NIAC hosted its 2nd annual powerlifting competition, Jan. 20. Competitors of all ages and backgrounds took the floor to break personal records, prepare for regional competitions, and enthusiastically cheer on every athlete. 

Families and friends gathered to watch their loved ones compete in the competition. Regardless of experience or ability, every lifter fought against weight to the tune of ear-piercing cheers from everyone in the room. Tia said everyone in the NIAC shows up for its members and treats them like family.  

“They come in, and we are like, ‘Hey Haley? What are you lifting today?’ Our staff makes the members feel like they are at home,” Tia said.

NIAC owner Tia Taylor puts her thumb up to signal a successful squat attempt, Jan. 20, 2024, in Moscow, Idaho. Taylor was one of the judges responsible for determining the success of lifts.

The COVID-19 pandemic took a heavy toll on the fitness industry nationwide. Over 30 percent of fitness facilities shut their doors in 2022 alone, according to a report from the International Health, Racquet and Sportsclub Association. However, January 2023 saw a 32 percent increase in foot traffic in gyms, signaling a return to normalcy, according to the Associated Press,

The NIAC continued to grow its outreach among the Moscow and Pullman communities through this troubling period. While their first powerlifting competition last year saw 19 competitors, this year saw 28 athletes take on the challenge. 

Katelynne Cykler, WSU junior kinesiology major has been powerlifting for a year and a half and works for Blake and Tia at the NIAC. Cykler was one of seven female powerlifters who competed in the powerlifting event.  

“The owners are a big part of bringing in the best people,” Cykler said. “The front desk definitely makes the community absolutely welcoming.” 

The NIAC plans to keep establishing itself as a staple of the Moscow community, Tia said. The gym welcomes all walks of life, from middle-school students to seniors. 

“Some gyms you just go in with your headphones, get your workout in and come out,” Tia said. “For here, it is like we are a family.”