Volleyball adds Jason Ruppelt to staff

First assistant addition for 2024 season
WSU+volleyball+eagerly+sits+and+watches+for+their+name+to+be+called+for+the+2023+NCAA+Tournament%2C+Nov.+26%2C+in+Pullman%2C+Wash.+
WSU volleyball eagerly sits and watches for their name to be called for the 2023 NCAA Tournament, Nov. 26, in Pullman, Wash.

A month after being named the newest head coach of the WSU volleyball team, Korey Schroeder has begun making new additions to his coaching staff, the first being Jason Ruppelt. 

Ruppelt has spent 17 seasons coaching Division I volleyball and the last nine seasons on the staff of Northern Kentucky, five of which as the team’s associate head coach. In those nine seasons, the team went 149-104, and in the last five seasons in his highest role, the team went 84-52 and had winning seasons in all five campaigns. 

“I am thrilled to join coach Schroeder on staff at Washington State. Starting right from my first phone call with Korey, it was clear that his passion for volleyball and his care for people have been major pillars in his career, and both will serve as a framework for his leadership of the program going forward,” Ruppelt said.

Prior to his near decade-long tenure at Northern Kentucky, Ruppelt spent time with Louisville and South Dakota State. During his time with the Norse, he got his first taste of the NCAA Tournament as the team got a bid to the dance in 2019. 

“I coached against Jason for many years, and I’m excited to now have the opportunity to coach alongside him,” Schroeder said. “He did a tremendous job developing student-athletes into the best versions of themselves as both people and players. He connects well with others and understands the impact he can make as a coach and mentor. I cannot wait for Jason to join us in Pullman.”

WSU has made the Tournament for eight consecutive seasons under former head coach Jen Greeny, a success that the new staff will attempt to replicate with a different-looking roster. With less players than to field a full starting lineup in current practices, the same recruiting success that Ruppelt oversaw at Western Kentucky will need to be replicated to continue the success of the WSU volleyball program. 

“Cougar Volleyball is a nationally recognized program with incredible tradition. It is an honor to get to work at WSU, and I cannot wait to bring my knowledge and expertise to Pullman. I am excited to expand my network to include the Pacific Northwest as we look to compete immediately in a highly competitive West Coast Conference,” Ruppelt said.