Cougars back to Pac-12 with three games against Arizona State

Team holds two game win streak heading into weekend
A+baseball+rests+on+the+turf+awaiting+for+first+pitch%2C+March+20%2C+in+Pullman%2C+Wash.+
A baseball rests on the turf awaiting for first pitch, March 20, in Pullman, Wash.

After sweeping the two-game series against Seattle U, WSU baseball (12-8, 2-4 Pac-12) is back after an off day to return to Pac-12 action as they start a three-game series against Arizona State (10-11, 3-3).

While this season has had some ups and downs, the team has kept a tight-knit repertoire about them. Players have sung the praises of the mentality of the team under head coach Nathan Choate whether they are winning or losing.

“To see where we are today, I’m thankful. This is probably the tightest baseball team I’ve been a part of in my life,” pitcher Duke Brotherton said.

In the first year under Choate’s leadership, the team brought in several transfers from different programs to fill in holes where players left, whether through transferring or graduation. 

There is always a risk when bringing in a new culture, whether in coaches or transferring players, in terms of whether or not the old guard and new guard will gel together. With the praise of his players, Choate is glad that the process has been rather seamless for the 2024 WSU baseball team. 

“You spend so much time around each other. Hearing Duke say that about our group just warms my heart,” Choate said. 

The close unit is back in action Friday, as the Cougs host Arizona State for a three-game set. Like the Cougs, the Sun Devils played a two-game set on Tuesday and Wednesday, splitting the games they had against Utah Valley. 

Now, they run into a WSU team with scorching hot bats. Against the Redhawks, WSU scored 22 total runs, with blasts from Casen Taggart and Griffin Sotomayor to boot. It was games number six and seven that the Cougs managed double-digit runs, something the ASU pitching staff has let their opposition do on five different occasions. 

Still, Arizona State has had more success in Pac-12 play, one more win to be exact. They went 1-2 against Oregon to start the year before getting a 2-1 series win over Arizona in their most recent series. While they beat their rivals twice, the Wildcats did outscore them 16-10.

WSU will send out their usual suspects on the mound, Grant Taylor, Spencer Jones and Connor Wilford are the trio expected to start each game. 

Action starts at 4:05 p.m. Friday, as Taylor will take the mound in game one at Bailey-Brayton Field in Pullman, Washington.