Volleyball to hold matches against California, Stanford

Cougars looking to tie season series against Golden Bears and Cardinal

JORDAN MAXWELL | Daily Evergreen file

Junior middle blocker Ella Lajos hits over USC’s block, put up by junior middle blocker Brittany Welsh and freshman opposite Brooke Botkin.

SAM HEIKELL, Evergreen reporter

WSU volleyball will look to rebound in two matches against University of California, Berkeley and Stanford University, after dropping two on the road last week.

The Cougars’ (14-12, 3-11) conference struggles have continued, as they lost their last three matches 3-0. Their offense has dwindled, causing the team to lose their last nine sets. That is the longest drought they’ve had all season.

Following the Nov. 2 match against Utah, Head Coach Jen Greeny talked about wanting to return to the basics.

“We are trying to find something that works and we still are searching for that,” Greeny said, according to WSU Athletic Communications. “Back to the drawing board. We have to be better offensively, and our hitters just need to do a better job of keeping the ball on the court.”

In the loss to the Utes, junior middle blocker Claire Martin earned her 386th career block, moving her into a tie for No. 6 in the program’s career blocks list.

“It will be nice to get back in the gym and actually practice,” Greeny said. “I think we need that. The skills have definitely broken down right now.”

WSU will look to avenge a 3-1 road loss to the Golden Bears (13-12, 4-10) on Oct. 20, a game where junior outside hitter Taylor Mims tallied 20 kills and 10 digs. Freshman setter Penny Tusa recorded a double-double as well, with 22 assists and 11 digs.

The Golden Bears are coming off a pair of 3-0 losses, being swept by No. 16 Oregon and Oregon State last weekend, and falling to ninth in the Pac-12 standings. WSU currently sits at No. 10 in conference.

After California, the Cougars will take on the defending national champion Stanford (21-3, 14-1). The Cardinal leads all Pac-12 teams with one conference loss. They were looking to continue their 16-game winning streak, but lost to No. 13 University of Washington last night.

Stanford’s offense is led by sophomore outside hitter Kathryn Plummer, 2016 Pac-12 Freshman of the Year, who leads the team with 4.57 kills per set. She had 10 kills and five digs in her team’s 3-0 sweep of the Cougars on Oct. 21.

With the end of the season nearing, WSU volleyball will look to take Greeny’s advice on returning to form. Eight teams from the Pac-12 received a tournament bid, last season, but the Cougars are currently sitting in the 10th spot.

A win against California could move WSU to ninth, depending on if the Golden Bears lose against the Huskies tonight. There are six matches remaining for the Cougars to make up ground in the standings.

After a bust week of traveling and playing on minimal rest, WSU volleyball had this week to prepare for the two Bay Area schools. The game against California is scheduled for 7 p.m. Friday while the game against Stanford is set for 7 p.m. Saturday. Both matches are scheduled to be played in Bohler Gym.