Margetts passionate about pool, protecting ocean

Junior swimmer was only Cougar selected to USA college challenge

Jasmine Margetts, a junior environmental science major, discusses her time on the WSU swim team and participating in the USA Swimming College Challenge.

OLIVER McKENNA | The Daily Evergreen

OLIVER McKENNA | The Daily Evergreen

OLIVER McKENNA | The Daily Evergreen

RYAN MOSHER, Evergreen reporter

Jasmine Margetts spends a lot of time in the water, whether it’s swimming for WSU or safeguarding beach-goers as a Los Angeles County life guard in the summer.

It doesn’t stop there. The junior environmental science major hopes to one day work as an oceanographer and protect aquatic environments.

Margetts started this season with an invitation to participate in the USA Swimming College Challenge in October. She was the only WSU swimmer selected, and said she knew her team and assistant coach Becky Jager were supporting her as she competed in California.

“It was a really good experience,” Margetts said. “I told coach Becky I was super nervous, because you’re swimming against the best, the national teams. But it was super cool and I think it was a good meet.”

Margetts faced opponents from Team USA during the college challenge. She finished fifth in the 1,000-meter freestyle, placing ahead of a Team USA member. She set two season-best times in the tournament.

Head Coach Tom Jager said the junior backstroke and butterfly swimmer may be the smallest person in the pool, but she’s always the toughest.

She loves to swim because it helps her destress and she enjoys being part of the team. Growing up in Southern California, she was always finding ways to spend time in the water. Margetts said the biggest difference between her hometown and Pullman is the weather, but she fell in love with the school spirit and the college-town community.

Margetts said her work ethic is important to her team, and as an upper-classman, she is a leader for her teammates. She said her confidence to be a role model on the team comes from her experience of balancing classes and swim.

Jager said Margetts keeps her teammates honest and helps them bond by making them laugh.

“Her tenacity is big. Her tenacity is 6’4”,” Jager said. “That’s what makes her great even though she’s not 6’4”.”

WSU swim just returned from a training camp in Florida, where they began preparing for Pac-12 Championships. However, their focus is still on the season’s remaining matches.

“If I anchor her on any relay, anyone is happy to be on that relay,” Jager said. “When they put Jasmine in charge, they trust her … and that’s the most important thing on a team is to trust each other.”

Margetts and the swim team will face Oregon State University at 5 p.m. Jan. 26 in Gibb Pool for the second home meet of the spring semester.

RYAN MOSHER, Evergreen reporter

Ryan is a sophomore multimedia journalism production major from Edmonds, and the fall 2018 sports editor. He joined the Evergreen in fall 2017 as a freshman...