Apartment fire causes $15,000 in damage


A fire at Tomason Place apartments set off the building’s sprinkler system Saturday morning, causing up to $15,000 damage.

Pullman firefighters responded to 685 NE Terre View Dr. around 2:30 p.m. for a report of a kitchen fire where the fire was already extinguished.

Although the fire damaged the stove and nearby cabinets, Lt. Rudy Fisher said most of the damage was caused by water from the sprinklers, which traveled down to the second and first floor apartments.

Officials said that tenants from the first and second floor could return to their residents, but the family living on the third floor will not be able occupy their apartment.

Fire Chief Mike Heston said it is important for apartment residents to have renters insurance.

Reporting by Andrew Braddock