Shaky start on day one for WSU track and field

Freshman Alissa Brooks-Johnson high jumps during the Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays in Austin, Texas, Wednesday, March 26.

The Cougar track and field teams got off to a bumpy start in windy conditions at the 87th annual Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays in Austin, Texas. 

WSU freshman Alissa Brooks-Johnson is in 19th place with a total score of 2,952 points after the first day in the women’s heptathlon. She ran the 100-meter hurdles in 14.90 seconds and high jumped 5 feet 3 inches. But it was the shot put where Brooks-Johnson shined, throwing a personal best of 35 feet and 1/4 inches, while also battling the wind in the 200-meter with a time of 26.11 seconds. 

Brooks-Johnson performed at an average level overall and recovered well in the hurdles after a poor start, Head Coach Rick Sloan said in a press release.

“The highlight of the day was her PR throw in the shot put,” Sloan said. “And the wind changed around a couple of times in the 200m, but that shouldn’t have affected her. We’ll get back at it tomorrow and I think she can come close to our goal of reaching 5,000 points.” 

For freshman Dino Dodig, it was a disappointing start. He barely had a chance to get out on the track before he strained his back during warm ups.  Dodig still ran the 100-meter dash at an impressive time of 11.23 seconds, considering the weather conditions. However, he struggled in the long jump fouling on all three attempts, while throwing the shot put for 38 feet and 6 and 3/4 inches. Dodig also attempted the high jump, but the back pain played a significant factor in his takeoff leg, and eventually after several warm-up tries he dropped out of the decathlon. 

The Texas Relays continues through Saturday with the Cougar women competing in the 400-meter hurdles, the men’s javelin, and Brooks-Johnson hoping to rebound in the heptathlon.