Cougars improve to 5-0

WSU finishes road trip to Montana with 3-0 record after defeating Michigan State on Sunday

Cougars improve to 5-0

Junior Melisa Ates returns a ball during doubles play against Idaho on Jan. 12 at Hollingbery Fieldhouse.

BEN SCHUH | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

BEN SCHUH | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

BEN SCHUH | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

TY EKLUND, Evergreen reporter

WSU tennis escaped its trip to Missoula, Montana, this weekend with a 3-0 record after defeating Michigan State 4-1 Sunday.

The Spartans and Cougars hadn’t played each other since 1999, when WSU won 4-3.

The match opened up with doubles as the Spartans won two of the three matches to take a 1-0 lead. 

Sophomore Michaela Baylerova, freshman Hikaru Sato, senior Tiffany Mylonas, freshman Savanna Lynguyen, freshman Yang Lee and senior Aneta Miksovska competed for the Cougars in the singles matches as the team looked to mount a comeback. 

Pressure didn’t seem to be on the Cougars mind as they opened up singles play with two strong wins.

On courts three and four WSU made quick work in getting back in the game as Mylonas and Lynguyen both picked up a pair of singles wins giving the team a 2-1 edge.

Bayerlova and Miksovska wouldn’t be far behind them as they claimed their matches to seal a 4-1 victory for the Cougars. 

“I’m proud of the way our team fought back after losing the doubles point,” Head Coach Lisa Hart said in a WSU news release. “Our veteran players did a fantastic job showing maturity and poise in their singles matches. Today was a great test for us and we are excited to get back to work in practice and keep improving.”

This victory came after WSU defeated Montana in a pair of matches Friday. The Cougars are now 5-0 this season.

WSU returns to action Saturday to face Southern Methodist University in the first round of the ITA Kickoff Weekend in Stanford, California.