Cougars dominate Beavers in Corvallis

WSU grabs 10 event victories in 148-114 win over OSU

PAIGE CAMPBELL | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Freshman butterfly swimmer Emily Barrier finishes third in the women’s 100 yard butterfly heat against Boise State on Oct. 14 at Gibb Pool.

SIGMUND SEROKA, Evergreen reporter

WSU swim claimed its seven straight victory over Oregon with a 148-114 win over the Beavers on Friday night in Corvallis.

Head Coach Matt Leach was impressed with the way the Cougars handled the adversity they experienced in their meet against the Beavers.

“I knew it was going to be a back and forth kind of meet,” Leach said, “and we were lucky enough to have some really good swims across the board.”

Sophomore Mackenzie Duarte led the Cougars collecting three individual wins on the day. She took first in the 100-yard and 200-yard breaststroke and 200-yard individual medley.

Junior Ryan Falk and freshman Keiana Fountaine each earned two individual wins. Falk claimed the 500-yard and 1,000-yard freestyle and Fountaine won the 100-yard and 200-yard freestyle to grab her 12th individual event win of the season.

Alongside sophomore Chloe Larson, freshman Sophia Balmaceda and freshman Emily Barrier, Foutaine was also a part of the 400-yard freestyle relay team that took first with a time of 3:28.15.

The Cougars swept the top-four spots in the 50-yard freestyle with Larson grabbing first in the event with a time of 24.04 seconds.

Sophomore Taylor McCoy earned her 14th individual victory of the season in the 200-yard backstroke.

Leach said he was impressed with the results and noticed his team competed with a lot of effort.

“There were so many great races, and great races where we went one-two-three which is a great improvement for us,” Leach said. “We are continuing to try to get better and are in the phase in our training where we are working a lot on our speed.”

The Cougars return home 11 a.m. Feb. 16 to face Utah at Gibb Pool for their last meet of the season before the Pac-12 Championships.