Pac-12 football power rankings

Utes move to the top, Cougars drop as they head into a bye week

SHAWN P. O'CONNOR, Evergreen reporter

1. (17) Utah (4-1, 1-1, Last: 5)

How about Tyler Huntley! The Utes’ quarterback passed for 334 yards and two touchdowns while rushing for two more in a 38-13 rout of WSU in Salt Lake City. Utah’s defense returned to form, holding the nation’s number one passing offense to 252 yards and two interceptions. Utah takes a bye next week.

1. (13) Oregon (3-1, 1-0, Last: 1)

The Ducks were on a bye. They host Cal in a massive Pac-12 North battle on Saturday.

1. (15) Washington (4-1, 1-1, Last: 3)

A hot start was enough for the Huskies to slip past the Trojans, defeating USC 28-14. Washington held third-string quarterback Matt Fink to 163 yards and three interceptions. Jacob Eason had a pedestrian day, passing for 180 yards in the game. UW heads to Palo Alto to play Stanford next week.

1. (20) Arizona State (4-1, 1-1, Last: 7)

The Sun Devils picked up a big-time upset win, defeating Cal 24-17 Friday night. Freshman quarterback Jayden Daniels did just enough, passing for 174 yards, while the ASU defense held Cal to 245 scrimmage yards. Arizona State takes a bye next week.

1. California (4-1, 1-1, Last: 2)

Losing redshirt sophomore quarterback Chase Garbers was too much to overcome, as Cal fell 24-17 to ASU. The Golden Bears’ defense allowed 17 second-half points, stunning the then-No. 15 team in the country. Cal heads to Eugene for a pivotal Pac-12 North showdown.

1. Southern California (3-2, 2-1, Last: 4)

Matt Fink couldn’t keep the magic rolling in Seattle as USC fell 28-14 to Washington. Fink turned the ball over three times and failed to rally the troops down 14 points in the fourth quarter. The Trojans defense played quite well, holding the Huskies under 200 passing yards. The Trojans take a bye next week.

1. Colorado (3-1, 1-0, Last: 6)

Colorado had a bye week. The Buffs host Arizona this week.

1. Arizona (3-1, 1-0, Last: 10)

A last-second field goal lifted the Wildcats over UCLA 20-17 in the desert. Freshman quarterback Grant Gunnell played well for the home team, passing for 352 yards and a touchdown. U of A heads to Boulder to play Colorado.

1. UCLA (1-4, 1-1, Last: 8)

The Bruins dropped a tight contest with Arizona, falling 20-17 on the road. Sophomore quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson came back to earth, passing for 180 yards, a touchdown, and an interception before leaving late with an ankle injury. UCLA hosts Oregon State next week.

1. Washington State (3-2, 0-2, Last: 9)

The Cougar passing offense never got off the plane in Salt Lake City, as WSU was humiliated 38-13 in Rice Eccles Stadium. Anthony Gordon looked flustered, passing for a career-low 252 yards, one touchdown, and two interceptions. Gordon was severely lacking in leadership on Saturday, and the result on the field speaks for itself. WSU takes a bye week.

1. Stanford (2-3, 1-2, Last: 11)

Stanford survived a tough Oregon State team, besting the Beavs 31-28. Davis Mills got the nod at QB for the Cardinal and played well, passing for 245 yards and three scores. Stanford hosts Washington on Saturday.

1. Oregon State (1-3, 0-1, Last: 12)

The Beavers lost on a game-winning field goal, falling to Stanford 31-28. Senior running back Artavis Pierce led the ground attack with 141 yards and two scores.