How-to for a successful semester

Poor grades can be a harsh wake-up call when partying every night of syllabus week.

BASHEERA AGYEMAN, Evergreen columnist

It’s a new semester, and though we’re coming back to the same cold climate, we’re coming into new classes with new expectations and standards. If you’re struggling to create a game plan, here are a few tips to get you started:

Party hard, but party smart

Taking an “L” on your very first assignment of the semester because you were engaging in wild syllabus week festivities is not a good look. Get drunk, but don’t still be drunk in your 9 a.m. class the next day. Have fun, but don’t be an idiot.

Don’t blow your whole refund

I know it’s tempting. I know it feels like a belated Christmas present, but just remember if you have accepted loans, your refund check is not free money. It’s financial assistance so only use what you need. Many students don’t know you have the option to return all or part of your refund to go toward repaying your loans.

Make a budget and stick to it

The beginning of the semester is a great time to plan out the details of the rest of the semester. Blocking time out to plan is important because you don’t want any unexpected expenses. “Surprise!” your rent is due, and you neglected to budget for it before hopping online to buy the new Fenty Slides by Rihanna.

Make realistic goals

Even Superman would probably have a little trouble working out three hours a day, seven days a week, with three jobs and 18 credits. Set goals that are high, yet attainable and reasonable. Use the new year as a time to reflect on your past shortcomings and capitalize on your strengths this semester.

Take advantage of resources

WSU senior Sarah Tarr, an education major, says that learning is an ongoing process.

“In the beginning of the semester, get tutors and stick to them like glue,” Tarr said. “You should work with tutors throughout the semester and not just during exam weeks.”

Look at your syllabuses

It may seem like professors are repeating the same things that they’ve said in previous semesters, but a syllabus can be a lifesaver when it comes to learning how you can succeed in that particular class. I’m sure professors also get annoyed when students ask questions that they’ve clearly answered in the syllabus and reviewed during syllabus week.

However you choose to begin your semester, just remember every student is on a different path. Tailor your path to you and your own goals.

Have a great semester, and Go Cougs.

Basheera Agyeman is a junior comparative ethnic studies major from Accra, Ghana. She can be contacted at 335-2290 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of The Office of Student Media.