Orchestra festival to train, recruit high school musicians

SERENA HOFDAHL | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

A member of the WSU Symphony Orchestra practices for their upcoming performances during rehearsal on Tuesday afternoon in the Kimbrough Music Building.

SYDNEY BROWN, Evergreen reporter

Guest conductors and a renowned viola soloist will share their knowledge with orchestra players from high schools in Washington during the WSU Orchestra Festival this Friday.
Starting at 8 a.m., students who play instruments will play in a workshop-style session. Viola soloist Mitsuru Kubo and conductor Matthew Aubin will work with students.
Danh Pham, the WSU Symphony Orchestra Director of Bands and assistant professor of music, said the event will run until about 4 p.m. Students will perform, receive constructive feedback on their techniques and then train with WSU professionals.
While this festival serves as a recruiting tool for the WSU School of Music, Pham said it also showcases the talents of the musicians, showing them that they don’t have to pursue music professionally to do it well.
“Music can still be a part of your life under any discipline,” Pham said. “I have students that play and then go work on their NASA project.”
Aubin will stand as guest conductor on Thursday night, during which Pham’s orchestral students will perform a concert at 7:30 p.m. in Kimbrough Concert Hall. Pham said Aubin is a good friend of his and can offer a unique interpretation of the piece.
The festival will begin 8 a.m. Friday in Kimbrough Music Hall. Pham said anyone can watch the performance.