Four-game losing streak snapped in Bohler Gym

The WSU women’s volleyball team (19-9, 9-7) brought itself back from the ashes of a four-game losing streak with victories over Arizona State and No. 25 Arizona this weekend.

The Cougars played Arizona State on Friday and cruised to a 3-1 win and took out the Wildcats two days later in a tight 3-2 victory.

Sophomore middle blocker Taylor Mims led Friday’s match defensively with 11 blocks. WSU had a total of 19 blocks compared to ASU’s 9.5 team blocks.

“Winning feels really good, especially against another Pac-12 team because everyone in the conference is good,” Mims said. “It’s great having a really tall team. Just the way we set it up is know the other hitters on your side and go out and be aggressive with it.”

Senior outside hitter Kyra Holt led the Cougars in kills, clocking in 17 to go with eight digs and five blocks. Junior outside hitter Casey Schoenlein added nine kills and four blocks while sophomore outside hitter McKenna Woodford pitched in eight kills and four blocks.

ASU senior outside hitter Maya McClendon had 24 kills while junior middle blocker Oluoma Okaro contributed six blocks to lead the Sun Devils in scoring. WSU hit .226 for the match and held the Sun Devils to a .152 hitting percentage. ASU recorded 58 kills to the Cougars 55 and out-dug WSU 77 to 70.

“Volleyball is such a game of momentum,” WSU Head Coach Jen Greeny said. “If you can get that momentum swing coming back your way, like we did at the end of the fourth set, and just believing (helps).”

On Sunday, WSU moved into a tie for sixth place in the Pac-12 after defeating UA (16-12, 8-8) in a close five-set match with set scores of 25-18, 27-29, 25-23, 21-25, and 15-12.

Holt had 17 kills, 12 digs and four blocks for her 48th double-double of her career. Schoenlein had a career-high of 15 kills and hit at a .419 hitting percentage to go with eight blocks. Woodford also added 13 kills, 13 digs, and three blocks. Sophomore middle blocker Claire Martin led the match with eight blocks.

Arizona’s senior outside hitter Kalei Mau led the match with 31 kills, had two aces and 17 digs while sophomore outside hitter Kendra Dahlke had 17 kills, two aces and 14 digs. WSU hit .224 for the match and held Arizona to a .156 team hitting percentage.

“Great win for us against a very, very good Arizona team,” Greeny said. “I was really happy how we battled and were able to pull out the victory. I’m very proud of this team. Kyra Holt, Casey Schoenlein and McKenna Woodford did a fantastic job.”

WSU travels to play No. 19 Utah (19-8, 10-6) at 5 p.m. on Thursday and Colorado (13-13, 5-11) at 11 a.m. on Sunday. Thursday’s match will be televised on the Pac-12 Network.