Cougars swept in Eugene for first conference loss

WSU defeated Oregon State 3-1 on Friday in Corvallis.

This past weekend, the 13th-ranked WSU women’s volleyball team (15-3, 5-1) won one and lost one in Oregon.

The Cougars defeated Oregon State (8-9, 1-5) 3-1 Friday but suffered their first Pac-12 loss of the season against No. 20 Oregon (12-3, 5-1) Sunday in a 3-0 sweep.

Ranked No. 10 at the time, WSU came into Corvallis undefeated in conference play and overcame a slow start against the Beavers to win in set scores of 19-25, 25-15, 25-20, and 25-18. The 5-0 start to conference play was the best in school history.

Senior outside hitter Kyra Holt led the team with 15 kills, 11 digs and three blocks. Sophomore outside hitter McKenna Woodford followed closely behind with 12 kills and eight digs.

Sophomore middle blocker Taylor Mims, last week’s Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week, had seven kills and a career-high of 11 blocks. WSU had 53 kills to OSU’s 48 in the match and out-blocked the Beavs 15.5-10.

“I think Oregon State is a heck of a team and they have some really good outside hitters,” Greeny said. “We had to keep going after them and make adjustments on our side of the net and we definitely did that in the third and fourth sets.”

OSU junior outside hitter Mary-Kate Marshall led the Beavers with 16 kills and was followed by sophomore outside hitter Lanesha Reagan with 12 kills, 10 digs and three blocks. Sophomore outside hitter Kory Cheshire led the Beavs in blocks with five and was followed closely by sophomore setter/outside hitter McKenna Hollingsworth with four.

On Sunday, the Cougars fell to No. 20 Oregon in set scores of 25-21, 25-10, and 25-14 in Eugene.

“We got out-played in every single category today,” Greeny said via wsucougars.com after the match. “We have to be tougher mentally and be able to respond. We aren’t sneaking up on anyone. When the pressure is getting put on us from another team we need to be able to respond and I don’t think we did that very well today.”

Holt had nine kills, moving her into third-place in the WSU all-time career kills list with 1,535. Holt and freshman Alexis Dirige each had 10 digs. Sophomore Claire Martin had three kills and four blocks while sophomore Taylor Mims had three kills and three blocks. The Cougars’ hitting percentage was a meager .056 in the match.

Oregon junior outside hitter Taylor Agost (.409 hitting percentage) and freshman outside hitter Jolie Rasmussen (.438 hp) each had nine kills. Sophomore middle blocker Lauren Page (.700 hp) followed behind with seven kills and led her team with six blocks.

“Oregon is a fantastic team and expected their strong offense but I’m disappointed that we didn’t respond in those situations and especially our sideout percentage was atrocious,” Greeny said. “We have to be able to put the ball away, especially against a good offensive team because they are going to fire right back at you. That is definitely something that we have to get back in the gym and get better at.”

This weekend, WSU hosts No. 19 Colorado at 7 p.m. Friday and Utah at noon Sunday, which will be televised on the Pac-12 Network.

Reporting by Jesse Woodhead