‘I chose WSU because of you’

In the fall of 1995 most of you students weren’t even born yet, but it provided many memories for me (which I think now makes me officially old).

The Mariners were having an incredible season, winning the AL West. Cougar football was coming off of an Alamo Bowl victory and a young WSU volleyball team was looking for a return trip to the NCAA Tournament. I was a wide-eyed freshman on that volleyball team, up for the challenge.

It wasn’t easy. Being a student athlete in the Pac-12 has always been tough. Some days I was frustrated and sore and tired. But there was something special that kept me coming back day after day. There was something special about this place – Washington State University.

In the previous year I had many opportunities to choose a different school to pursue my athletic and academic career, but I chose Washington State. It was that “feeling” that we all can’t really explain, the feeling of family and the feeling of pride. Ultimately it was because of the people. I chose WSU because of you.

You are the fan. You are the student, arriving to the game an hour early to heckle the opponent during warm ups. You are the parent bringing your family to the game on a school night, feeding your kids popcorn and hot dogs for dinner. You are the season ticket holder, eager to meet the newcomers year in and year out.

You are the professor cheering on your student, knowing they will also have their assignment done before the next class. You are the staff member who proudly wears your Crimson and Gray, filling the seats even after a full day at the office. You are the Cougar Family.

As a former student athlete and now as the Head Volleyball Coach, I am here to tell you how important you are. The electricity you create can help propel us from behind or help us keep our momentum.

You, the fan, can truly create a home court advantage. Take pride in being that advantage for our teams. Come early, be loud, stay until the end. Stick with us — you matter.

As for my career as a student athlete, it turned out pretty well. Three trips to the NCAA Tournament, including an Elite Eight and Sweet 16. What makes these memories so incredible is, of course, the people.

My goal as a coach is to not only get our volleyball team back to that level of success, but also help our players connect with you, the fan.

As the first football weekend is upon us take time to realize how important you are to all of the student athletes, coaches and staff in every sport. Come and meet our volleyball team next weekend, Sept. 9-10, as we play in the Cougar Challenge in Bohler Gym. As always … Go Cougs!