WSU’s Morgan Weaver carrying over high school success to Pullman

It is difficult to imagine a fierceness coming from the brightness and buoyancy that make up WSU women’s soccer player Morgan Weaver.

The freshman forward has surged into her collegiate career and, even with her cheerful attitude, it is evident that she came to Pullman ready to compete. Sprinting past opponents and consistently leading the Cougars in shots taken, Weaver has shown consistency and promise in the first three games of the season.

In her first collegiate game against No. 16 Brigham Young University, Weaver’s speed allowed her to take seven shots in the match, including two shots on goal. She again led WSU in this category the last week in the team’s 1-0 victory over No. 13 Santa Clara where she took four shots and one shot on goal.

She is no stranger to high numbers, and taking a look at her high school career, it is no surprise that Weaver has performed well in a highly competitive setting against stiff competition.

Weaver joined the Curtis High School Vikings soccer team as a freshman in the year ninth graders were allowed to participate in varsity sports for the first time in history for the school, located near Tacoma in University Place. The young varsity team was not expected to do well, so it was a surprise to many when midseason arrived and the team was 6-0-2.

With Weaver as the leading scorer, the Vikings advanced to the state quarterfinals where they fell to Tacoma High School 2-1. Weaver closed out the season as the leading scorer with 18 goals total.

She often scored two to four goals per game in her sophomore year with the team, surpassing her own personal record with 20 goals for the season. She also led the team in assists with nine. Her efforts earned her All-Area Player of the Year, First Team All-League and First Team All-State honors.

In her fourth and final season with the Vikings, Weaver scored in 14 consecutive matches, netting as many as four several times. She made her final campaign her most impressive yet, totaling 37 goals over 20 matches.

One of the 37 goals she converted that year was especially memorable for Weaver and her family. After flying back from Pullman early to play on senior night, Weaver’s younger sister, Isabella, assisted her on a goal. It was the first year the two sisters were able to play together, making it a special moment for the family.

When it came time to decide where she would continue her soccer career, being a Coug was not part of the plan. When the previous soccer coach for WSU, Steve Nugent, emailed Weaver’s coach about a visit, she was less than enthusiastic.

“I was kind of just like ‘Eh, Wazzu, I don’t really want to go there,’ Weaver said. “Then I came and I just fell in love with the school right then and there.”

Even after deciding on WSU, there was a brief concern over her spot on the team. Nugent, who had recruited Weaver and several other players, resigned, leaving them worried about where that left them.

It came as a huge relief to Weaver and her teammates when Todd Shulenberger stepped in as head coach and still wanted them on the team.

The jump from high school to college is not as easy one, but with the senior players as her guide, Weaver has made a smooth transition.

“I look up to the seniors here,” Weaver said. “I think everyone should. Where they’re at right now is incredibly different from where the freshman are. You should want to play like them.”