Why you should be a responsible tenant – no matter your situation

No matter where you’re living – whether you consider it a dump or the apex of cultured living – respecting your environment is critical to your overall wellbeing and that of those around you.

There are several decisions you have to make when you arrive at WSU – like deciding your major, where to work, what clubs to join and who to hang out with. Chief among those decisions is where you choose to live.

Fear not: there are 17 residence halls, nine on-campus apartment complexes and hundreds of off-campus living options.

This variety of options is due to the 20,000 students on the Pullman campus from more than 90 different countries – as reported by WSU’s demographic quick facts.

At best, this means that campus is hectic.

At worst, it means your housing situation may suffer certain downfalls like parties until 4 a.m., garbage on the front porch and vomit on your siding – among other things.

Even in a college town, there are key things to remember as a resident, renter or guest, said Sam Kieling, vice president of the College Hill Association.

“Students can be responsible by understanding what part they play in being residents of the neighborhood,” Kieling said.

She noted that it is important for students to understand the role and the responsibilities of their tenants and peers.

“They can be respectful of their neighbors who maybe aren’t up until 3 a.m. on a Saturday like they are,” Kieling said. “They can pick up garbage when they see it and do their part to keep the neighborhood clean for everyone that lives there.”

Throw a party, enjoy your weekends and relish your time at WSU – it’ll go by much faster than you realize – but do so safely and shut down the festivities before a reasonable time to avoid clashes with your neighbors or the Pullman Police Department.

I understand the free-form, live fast mentality. It’s liberating living away from home for the first time.

It might be the first time you’ve done your own laundry, went shopping for groceries or it could simply be a milestone that makes you feel like you’re one step closer to adulthood.

Be wary of your freedom, however, as it can provide not only a false sense of indestructability, but also a tendency to disrespect the thoughts, feelings, wants and needs of others.

In a survey conducted by The Daily Evergreen, the majority of students reported that amenities like included internet, a pool, recycling services and recreation centers were moderately important to their housing situation.

Students also reported that having a dishwasher, washer/dryer and air conditioning were housing essentials and above all else, affordability and location were the most important aspects of housing.

The key takeaway from the survey is that while many students enjoy included amenities, each person is different and no housing situation will check all your boxes and still be affordable.

So no matter where you’re living – whether you consider it a dump or the apex of cultured living – respecting your environment is critical to your overall well-being and that of those around you.

Remember to treat your neighbors and fellow students with respect, dignity and directness. It’s important to make connections and truly hold on to those around you.

You’re a part of the Cougar family – and that means something.

Tyler Delong is a senior communication major from Moses Lake. He can be contacted at 335-2290 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of the Office of Student Media.