Triumph on the pitch: WSU upends No. 13 Santa Clara 1-0

After falling to No. 16 BYU 2-1 in double overtime in its season opener at Lower Soccer Field on Aug. 27, the WSU women’s soccer team redeemed itself last Thursday.

The Cougars (1-1) defeated the No.13 Santa Clara Broncos (2-1) 1-0 Thursday night off a goal scored early on in a match that followed a loss in the week prior.

WSU women’s soccer head coach Todd Shulenberger knew home field advantage might be on his team’s side playing in front of a large crowd at Lower Soccer Field leading up to the match. The Broncos played their first two games at home before making their first road trip of the season on Thursday.

“They haven’t been on the road yet so we know they are going to have a little test coming here to Pullman,” Shulenberger said in an interview before the game.

WSU sophomore forward Alysha Overland scored the match’s lone goal in the 39th minute after a shot on goal by senior forward Kaitlyn Johnson rebounded off the goal. Overland reacted to the deflection with a header that knocked the ball down low and past Santa Clara sophomore goalkeeper Melissa Lowder.

Santa Clara had several opportunities to even the score, but was unable to convert any shots to goals. Broncos senior midfielder Jordan Jesolva had the most shots in the game between both teams with five attempted goals.

WSU redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Ella Dederick had three saves in the game, stopping any potential equalizing shots from the Broncos. Lowder recorded two saves in the game.

The teams were relatively even on the scoreboard, with both the Cougars and the Broncos ending the game with 10 shots on goal along with three corner kicks.

Freshman forward Morgan Weaver made four shots on goal, the most shots for the Cougars. Weaver had the most shots on goal in the previous game against BYU as well where she took seven. Overland and senior forward Amy Neal had two apiece.

The loss to the Cougars was the first of the season for Santa Clara, as the Broncos knocked off two ranked teams at home in matches that extended into overtime. Santa Clara upset No. 11 USC 3-2 in overtime and No. 18 California 1-0 in double overtime in the previous week.

The Cougars will hit the road for the first time this season on Sunday when they head to Spokane to take on the Gonzaga Bulldogs. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m. Sunday at Lugar Field in Spokane.