WSU women’s soccer loses against in-state Gonzaga

WSU is now 1-2-0 after falling to the Bulldogs in the 1-0 matchup Sunday in Spokane at Luger Field.

The Cougars struggled to convert shots into goals even though they outshot Gonzaga 13-11 (5 -1 on goal). Gonzaga’s victory over the Cougs moves the Bulldogs to 2-1-1 after a 2-2 tie with Idaho last week.

Gonzaga sophomore Callie Best was the only player to beat the goalkeeper. With an assist from freshman Madeline Gotta, Best headed the ball into the goal, unknowingly winning the game in the 19th minute. It was also the sophomore’s first-ever collegiate goal.

Controlling much of the field of play early on, the Cougars had several opportunities to equalize the score. Junior Kelsee Crenshaw’s shot in the 50th minute nearly tied the game when she launched a shot almost 30 yards out. The ball ricocheted off the crossbar before getting swept out by Gonzaga defense.

Coug senior Kaitlyn Johnson led shots on goal with two. Freshman Morgan Weaver, senior Kailiana Johnson and sophomore Maegan O’Neill each had one.

Efforts by senior goalkeeper Ella Dederick prevented any more scoring by the Zags, closing out the match 1-0.

The Cougars swept past Gonzaga last season when WSU went into the match with a perfect 6-0-0 record, and made it 7 after the 3-0 victory. Johnson, Maddy Haro, and Cara Wegner each netted a goal for the Cougars.

WSU went into the game coming off a recent win over the University of Santa Clara. The Cougars took down the Broncos after an early goal by Alysha Overland, which put WSU on the board.

The Cougars return to the Palouse to take on the University of Montana this Friday on the Lower Soccer Field. The action will kick off at 7 p.m.