Students plan virtual 5K for Lauren McCluskey Foundation

Sports management seniors bring an in-person event online following COVID-19

WSU+sports+management+students+planned+a+virtual+5k+race+using+the+MapMyRun+app.+

OLIVIA WOLF | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

WSU sports management students planned a virtual 5k race using the MapMyRun app.

EMMA LEDBETTER, Evergreen news editor

Ten WSU sports management seniors planned a virtual 5K race to raise money for the Lauren McCluskey Foundation, 

Between April 4 and 11, individuals who download the MapMyRun app can participate from any location by walking or running five kilometers, said Desiree Stinger, a member of the project group.

The cost to register is $25, Stinger said. All money raised will be donated to the Lauren McCluskey foundation, a local organization that promotes campus safety, amateur athletics and animal welfare. 

Stinger said the event was initially planned as an in-person run that would take place over Mom’s Weekend. However, restrictions due to COVID-19 made that impossible. 

A participant who was unable to travel to Pullman suggested they move the event online to bring more awareness to the foundation, said BrieAnna Pierce, another member of the project group.

“We want to have the largest impact we can possibly have,” Stinger said. “We just are trying to make good with this and make the most of an unfortunate situation.”

Stinger said there is no cost to put on the event because it is virtual, so all the money that is raised will go directly to the foundation.

The event has raised over $1,200 so far, Pierce said. Over 50 people have registered in locations such as Utah, California and Ottowa, Canada. 

“This is not just promoting campus safety, this is a great way for people to go out and walk or run a 5K, go outside a little bit, and take your mind off of COVID-19,” Pierce said. 

More information about the event is available on the Facebook event group. Participants can sign up using the registration link.

Even after the event ends, people can still use #fitnessforsafety to spread awareness about the foundation.