The Daily Evergreen named top student daily paper in region by Society of Professional Journalists

Daily Evergreen editors embrace while cheering after hearing the results of the Student Media referendum in March 2018.

SYDNEY BROWN, Evergreen reporter

The Daily Evergreen and won top daily student newspaper in the region by the Society of Professional Journalists, which released results of its annual Mark of Excellence regional finalists and winners lists Monday. Several Edward R. Murrow College of Communication students were also recognized and won for radio, television and online reporting.

Region 10 includes Alaska, Idaho, Oregon, Montana and Washington; first-place winners will go on to the national level and be notified by late spring of their wins.

WSU

WSU senior and Evergreen copy chief Jakob Thorington and senior broadcast news major Noah Schmick won and will compete nationally in the online sports reporting category for “Bobby.” In the same category, Murrow student and Evergreen managing editor Grace Arnis was the second finalist recognized for “100 years of yellow.” Thorington, Schmick, broadcast production alum Spencer Vik and Murrow alum Kayla Bautista won for “Rural football in America” in the online sports videography category.

Broadcast journalism alum Connor Henricksen won and will compete nationally in the online commentary category.

Murrow News 8 won for its Nov. 21, 2019 newscast in the best all-around TV newscast category.

Broadcast production alum Christian Duplessie and senior broadcast news major Elijah Clayton won in the broadcast news videography category for “WSU – ROTC training.”

Murrow alum Jasmine Darakjy won in the TV feature reporting category for “Chris Sin Limites.” Darakjy also won in the general TV reporting category for “From Puerto Rico to Washington, dogs find their forever homes.”

Broadcast journalism alum and former Evergreen photographer Hsing-Han Chen, senior multimedia journalism and public relations major Cameron Sheppard, sophomore Marissa Conklin and junior multimedia journalism major Megan Balint were finalists for their TV feature reporting, “A collaboration of science and art.”

Multimedia journalism and Spanish alum Latisha Jensen was a finalist in the general reporting category for “Arrest helps Whitman County woman fight meth, heroin addiction.” Lindsey Jensen and multimedia journalism alum Carissa Slater were finalists in the radio news reporting category for “Period.”

Evergreen submissions

Broadcast news major and Evergreen deputy news editor Luke Hudson was recognized as a regional finalist alongside interim photo editor Oliver McKenna for coverage on the flood in September 2019.

Current editor-in-chief and senior multimedia journalism major Sydney Brown was recognized as a regional finalist for “A Wasteful Life,” a four-part series on sustainability and living zero-waste.