Cougars sit at seventh after first day in Arizona

Sophomore Alivia Brown competes during the WSU Cougar Cup at the Palouse Ridge Golf Course on Sept. 22, 2015.

Under the sunny Arizona skies, the Cougars finished Day 1 of competition in the Cowgirl Classic in seventh place overall.

The WSU women’s golf team went 36 holes on Monday in Maricopa, Arizona.

Idaho led the classic shooting six over par in the first two rounds. The Cougars went +22, going five shots under Southern Utah which stands in eighth place. The University of Santa Clara shot for +7, one shot behind Idaho.

Cougar sophomore Alivia Brown tied for 10th place as an individual among four other participants including her teammate, freshman Madison Odiorne. Both golfers shot a score of 147, three over par.

Junior Cherokee Kim stands tied for 20th after shooting four over par with a score of 148 after the first two rounds.

Santa Clara freshman Annie Freman leads the Classic, ending the day at -4 for a score of 140.

Senior Nani Yanagi is tied for 40th place among Northern Arizona freshman Morgan Messick and Montana State senior Kati Greear. The three all shot for seven over par at 151.

Competition will continue tomorrow at the Ak-Chin Southern Dunes Golf Club in Maricopa, Arizona.

Reporting by Payton Dineen