Zumbathon for ATVP

By Samuel Martinez

As a concluding event to Sexual Assault Awareness Month, the University of Idaho (UI) Wellness Program presents Zumbathon tonight aiming to spread awareness and resources while dancing the night away.

Zumba is an interval-style dance-based work out that has been gaining popularity worldwide in the past few years. While UI Campus Recreation offers Zumba classes regularly, this is an event that offers more than just a sweat to anyone who comes out.

Instead, this year’s Zumbathon is dedicated to promoting Sexual Assault Awareness Month and getting the Pullman-Moscow community involved.

Peggy Hamlett is director of fitness and wellness at UI and said the main goal of this year’s Zumbathon is all about the message of awareness.

“It’s a fun way for people to get together and have a good time, but it’s while we ask people if they are aware of what is going on and what some resources are,” Hamlett said.

The proceeds of the night are going to Alternatives to Violence of the Palouse (ATVP) which provides 24 hour emergency and supportive services to victims of family and sexual violence. Along with the focus of ATVP and their resources, the “It’s on us” campaign is also integrated into the Zumba night.

“It’s On Us” is a movement spreading across the nation devoted to education, prevention, and offering resources to those effected by sexual assault. By focusing on the local community, Hamlett says this will be a very positive night.

“I think people don’t realize that there is a lot of domestic abuse in this community, and making sure people don’t feel embarrassed and know there are resources to help them is important,” Hamlett said. “So you will have fun, exercise, and network with others, but in the end anyone is able to get back more than what you put in”

Among others helping to make Zumbathon come together is Joe Martin, a Wellness Program Graduate Assistant at UI. Martin has been at work for months getting local businesses, different student associations, and trainers at WSU involved in the event. Through all the planning, the goal of Zumbathon has not been lost.

“We want this to be an empowering event,” Martin said. “Expect an energetic atmosphere where people dance for a cause.”

Zumbathon starts at 6:30 p.m. tonight in the International Ballroom of the Student Union Building on the UI campus. Requested donations are $5 for students and $10 for the general public. While the event ends at 8, people are encouraged to come and go as they please.

Businesses such as Merry Cellars Winery, Big 5 Sporting Goods, and many others have donated prizes that will be raffled off at the end of the night. Alongside the dancing and the raffle will be community tables with various sexual assault resources for anyone in need.