WSU launches new attestation system

Individuals required to complete attestation form before visiting campus, WSU-owned properties

Jill+Creighton%2C+dean+of+students+and+associate+vice+president+of+student+affairs%2C+said+all+individuals+on+WSU-owned+property+are+expected+to+complete+the+COVID-19+attestation+form.+

JENIN REYES | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Jill Creighton, dean of students and associate vice president of student affairs, said all individuals on WSU-owned property are expected to complete the COVID-19 attestation form.

HUNTER ORCUTT, Evergreen reporter

WSU launched a new website to help route students, faculty and guests to a new form needed to gain entrance to all university buildings and facilities. 

All individuals visiting or staying on WSU-owned property are expected to complete the COVID-19 attestation form daily, said Jill Creighton, dean of students and associate vice president of student affairs. This applies to all WSU campuses and WSU-owned properties. 

Attestation will be required until the end of the semester, said Theresa Elliot-Cheslek, associate vice president and chief human resource officer. 

In the attestation form, individuals are asked to mark whether they are experiencing any or all symptoms listed, Creighton said. Ten symptoms are listed, following state guidelines by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 

Employees will be required to follow the same guidelines, Elliot-Cheslek said. Employees and students may face disciplinary actions if they do not follow the guidelines, though those actions will differ.

Students and employees who mark they are experiencing any of the symptoms will receive an email from the university advising them to contact their healthcare providers and not enter any WSU property, she said.

“There are a lot of points on campus at which you’re going to need to show your completed attestation in order to access the facility,” Creighton said. 

People will also be required to wear masks on campus, and temperature scans will be administered at various locations, she said. Signage is posted around campus reminding students to wear masks and complete an attestation form. 

If a student tries to enter a facility without a completed attestation form, facility staff will demonstrate how to complete it. However, if the student refuses to complete the form, they will be turned away, Creighton said.  

The attestation system was tested by campus leaders, including ASWSU and the Residence Hall Association leaders, to see if students preferred the form to require every symptom to be checked off one by one or through a “select all” style. 

Creighton said the university’s future plans depend on how COVID-19 will affect WSU campuses this fall.