Bashota shines for Cougars against BYU

The Cougars continue to win as sophomore Donika Bashota broke the single-season singles victories record Friday.

The day started off when the Cougars won two doubles matches to take the first point. Seniors Lize Leenknecht and Trang Huynh defeated BYU’s Nicolette Poulsen and Savannah Ware, 6-3.

Senior Maria Biryukova and freshman Aneta Miksovska continued the form and beat Taylah Beckman and Natella Nabieva, 6-3. Bashota and junior Victoria Matejevic were up 4-3 when the match was abandoned.

After they took the 1-0 lead, the Cougars didn’t look back. They built an insurmountable lead and kept the foot on the gas. Bashota defeated Mayci Jones, 6-2, 6-3. Now at 34 wins in a single season, Bashota sits atop the record books in sole position. She recently beat herself, as she had 31 wins last season, a WSU freshman record.

Biryukova won in three sets against Toby Miclat, 6-2, 2-6, 6-1. This win meant the Cougars only needed to win one more singles match to beat BYU.

Huynh provided the Cougars with the security of clinching the win after she beat Nabieva 7-6(4), 6-1. Freshman Barbora Michalkova lost her match, which gave BYU its first and only point of the day as the Cougars showed they are a formidable opponent.

Leenknecht and Miksovska closed out the day with a pair of victories. Leenknecht managed to win 7-5, 6-2, while Miksovska won 7-6(4), 6-7(2), 1-0(4).

The Cougars are back on the road this week as they travel to the Grand Canyon State as they take on Arizona at 1:30 p.m. Friday and Arizona State at noon on Saturday.

Reporting by Alex Payton