Tennis remains undefeated over the weekend

The women’s tennis team is currently 8-0, after winning matches against Seattle University and Northern Arizona University over the weekend.

Head Coach Lisa Hart said the team needs to keep its eye on the goal of improving and playing better once Pac-12 competition starts.

“I don’t think we’re playing our best tennis yet,” Hart said. “Winning is great but I think when you lose, you learn the most so we just need to make sure we stay hungry.”

This weekend the Cougars looked hungry as they only lost one match on Saturday, which introduced in-state competition Seattle University to the Palouse. After the first two doubles matches it was tied as seniors Maria Biryukova and Trang Huynh lost 6-3. The loss did not matter as the Cougars won the other two doubles matches, rescuing the point. Then in succession the Cougars won every singles match.

Huynh brushed off her loss and won her match 6-0, 6-0, as she finished her match in 24 minutes. Huynh explained they played with confidence and were able to cheer each other on to take all of the singles match’s points.

“We played well and it allowed us to take our win in the morning into tonight’s match,” Huynh said.

Biryukova also shrugged off the loss and won 6-3, 6-0 against Michelle Lui. Sophomore Donika Bashota had a close first set before she put the game away in the second set, winning 6-4, 6-1. Freshman Aneta Miksovska 6-0, 6-2 and junior Victoria Matejevic won 6-1, 6-0. Freshman Barbora Michalkova won 6-1, 6-4.

Despite the score line, Michalkova explained the team focused on their energy levels so they could make it through the night match and win.

“We had to focus on our energy because in the second match we are tired and I think it is the most important thing for us.”

That is exactly what the team did in the night match against NAU as it won two doubles matches and looked to be on its way to winning the third match. Biryukova and Huynh won 6-1, while Bashota and Matejevic won 6-0. Just trailing behind the other two matches was the freshman duo of Michalkova and Miksovska who led the match 4-1.

It was the same story in the singles matches, as they continued to shine in all aspects of the game. Huynh and Matejevic won key points on their serves, while Michalkova overpowered her opponents with thunderous forehand winners. Bashota, Biryukova and Miksovska were able to win points in different ways, winning points on rallies, winners down the line, lobbing opponents who came up to the net and forcing them to play on the baseline.

The Cougars will play in California next weekend. The team face Memphis at 1 p.m. and Santa Barbara at 5 p.m. in Santa Barbara.