ASWSU confirms two senators

New senators want to advocate for first-generation, low-income students, LGBTQ+ community

SCREENSHOT FROM MEETING

The College of Education Senate seat is the last vacant position in the ASWSU Senate.

BROOKLYNN HILLEMANN

The ASWSU Senate confirmed an all-campus senator and filled the College of Arts and Sciences position during Wednesday night’s meeting.

Jelani Christopher, junior political science major, was confirmed as an all-campus senator.

Over the span of two years, Christopher served as a freshman delegate and uncertified senator for the ASWSU legislative branch.

He said he will be outspoken and advocate for first-generation and low-income students.

“I hope to come back to the Senate because I realize my efforts as a representative of the students is not done,” he said.

As an all-campus senator, Christopher said his mission will be to ensure all students are heard. Advocacy during the pandemic is one of his main goals.

“Many students are dissatisfied with the way WSU administration has conducted proceedings during this time,” he said. “I want to be the voice for them because I feel like they are not being heard.”

Lauren Slater, senior political science major, was confirmed as senator for the College of Arts and Sciences. Slater serves as a social justice peer educator. She said she will be focusing on making the campus more inclusive for the LGBTQ+ community.

“I am committed to not only improving students’ academic lives,” she said, “but also making sure that our school provides a safe space that the students expect.”

She said the ASWSU Senate should partake in diversity and inclusion training each semester to promote allyship and address unconscious bias.

The College of Education Senate seat is the last vacant position.

Members of ASWSU presented to the Senate as well, providing updates on projects.

Zachary Mora, ASWSU director of communication, said the team has slowed the production of COVID-19 content and are shifting their focus to upcoming events.

Marketing for programs such as Restaurant Week and the safety, health and security fair are being promoted on ASWSU social media, he said.

“We want to get the WSU community more involved,” Mora said.

Joel Aleman, ASWSU director of university affairs, said fundraisers such as Cougs Give and Giving Tuesday are being organized to help resupply the student emergency fund with money.

“This fund was depleted a lot with COVID,” he said. “A lot of students applied for it, and unfortunately the fund is very low at the moment.”