WSU Tri-Cities’ program receives $43 million for GEAR UP program

Grants will service 20 Washington school districts; support students from seventh grade to college

COURTESY OF MICHELLE PARVINEN

Funds will be used for career nights, tutoring and AP training sessions. Some money will also be used to hire academic and career professionals.

BRADLEY GAMBLE, Evergreen reporter

WSU Tri-Cities’ GEAR UP program received $43 million to help middle and high school students have more access to career and educational opportunities.

Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs is a federally funded program that helps students from lower-income communities continue their education, said Michelle Parvinen, GEAR UP program director. The program supports seventh-grade students up to their first year in college.

“By the time they reach college, we’ve taught them how to get the resources available to them at their college,” she said. “We try to connect the students with other resources that will help them get continued support throughout their college career.”

Funds will be used for career nights, tutoring and AP training sessions, Parvinen said. Some money will also be used to hire academic and career professionals.

The professionals help students explore careers and educational areas that interest them, she said.

GEAR UP students complete surveys that identify their interests and career aspirations, she said. This helps them develop a plan for success with the professionals.

“A lot of these kids have never left their communities,” she said, “so, it’s exposing them to all kinds of professions and opportunities out there.”

Schools qualify for the GEAR UP program when they have more than 50 percent of their students on free or reduced lunch programs, she said.

The money comes from two grants, she said.

The Harvest of Hope grant gives $23 million to 14 middle and 12 high schools in 10 school districts, Parvinen said. The One Vision Partnership grant gives $20 million to 13 middle schools and 13 high schools in 10 different districts.

Harvest of Hope’s 10 school districts are Walla Walla, College Place, Othello, Moses Lake, Dayton, Kennewick, Soap Lake, Prescott, Warden and Touchet, she said.

One Vision Partnership serves the Evergreen, Columbia, Clarkston, Finley, Pasco, Kiona-Benton, Mabton, Ephrata and North Franklin school districts.